Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing shocks on 1980 GS1000G, lowering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing shocks on 1980 GS1000G, lowering?

Unfortunately someone got trigger happy with a rattle can on my GS at some time in the past, so now I have to try to clean it up to make it look presentable.

Already stripped and polished the forks, and now I am thinking about what to do about the shocks. Since removing paint from that type of surface is going to be very difficult I was thinking about simply replacing them.

Would a replacement shock that lowers the bike slightly have a big impact on handling? I am able to touch both feet to the ground with the stock suspension but it would be nice to have an extra inch or so of clearance.

Any recommendations on shocks that won't break the bank?

Any suggestions?

Comment

If you do lower the rear, don't forget to make the same change up front to minimise the effects on handling.

There have been a few threads here on shocks, though i don't remember all the details. Some searching should turn them up.

The cheapest shocks you can get are known as MDI shocks. They go for under $100 just about everywhere, and they're usually sold with no brand name at all. They are too stiff though. Oversprung, and overdamped too. They might be about right on a loaded touring bike with a passenger. I have them on my 1000G with GK luggage, and they're still far too harsh.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

So lowering an inch all the way around would be ok?

Comment

Hi,

From the "mega-welcome":

**********Quoted from Mr. Griffin**********
          For suspension upgrades, the front end is pretty simple: Progressive brand springs and fresh 15W fork oil. (http://www.mawonline.comhas pretty good prices on Progressive products.)

(If you need extra heavy spring rate for your forks (for bigger riders or heavy loads) try Sonic Fork Springs. There's an online tool for calculating the proper spring rate according to your bike, weight, riding style, etc.)
          The rear end isn't so simple.
          Most of these brands are available in 'eye to eye' and 'eye to clevis' configurations, in different lengths for twin shock GS models. The options are arranged in order of price, low to high.

1. $65-$90 Emgo/MDI:Found all over ebay, and at about every vendor on the internet. General consensus of users seems to be that they are ok quality, but very stiffly sprung. Essentially the bare minimum option from stock. (For example, see: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/rear_shocks.htm)
          2.$120 Redwing: Evidently no longer made, they are still available at www.loudfastugly.com (and omarsdtr.com). I've not been able to find anyone who's actually used them, but they appear to be of halfway decent quality.

3. $210-$230 Progressive 12 Series:Lots of information here and all over the web about them. Most people seem happy with them, several different spring weights available. Available at most online retailers. www.denniskirk.comis a vendor I have had great luck with over the years.

4. $218-$270 Hagon Type A:Seem very similar to Progressive 12 series as far as owner satisfaction, quality of construction, and price. Available in the USA at www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

5. $320-$400+ Ikon 76 Series:Generally pretty highly regarded, lots of options available. From what I've read on the internet, they do seem to be more highly regarded than Progressive. Can be found at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

6. $419-$589 Works Performance Steel Tracker:Very highly regarded, lots of positive reviews around the internet of Works Performance in general. Customer service (including rebuilding any brand of shock) is very highly rated. More info at http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

There are other options available that can be more expensive, including offerings from Works,Ikon,Ohlins. White Brothers, once a powerhouse in the motorcycle industry, has ceased operations.

(Note from BassCliff: Also check out YSS Suspension at http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html.)

**********End Quote**********

This site containing this information is also linked in the "mega-welcome".

Lowering Your Bike

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks BassCliff! Looks like new shocks are expensive for something decent. Probably have to change the bushings for now and put the new shocks on hold. Gotta get it running before it matters anyway!

Comment

One thing that would be put me off about YSS is their payment methods and I'm actually in the market for new shocks. It's 2013, not 1991. Snail mail a check or fax your credit card info? When I see things like this, I worry about how legit the company actually is.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

(Note from BassCliff: Also check out YSS Suspension at http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html.)

**********End Quote**********

BassCliff

Comment

There are many people I know that use YSS shocks on their flattrack race bikes, and are very happy with them. They are a legitimate company and make a good product. just my .02 Paul

Comment

I thought that the GL model shocks were shorter than the regular G model, but it looks like they might be the same part. My parts bike is in storage so I think I am going to swing by there today and measure them. That way I have an option that costs zero dollars, which is always good.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
                    There are many people I know that use YSS shocks on their flattrack race bikes, and are very happy with them. They are a legitimate company and make a good product. just my .02 Paul
                    That's good to know. It still seems very insecure to fax someone your credit card number though.

Comment

Working...
                    X