• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which tires to buy? (82 GS1100)

So I am online and there are so many opinions and options out there

I am replacing my tires from 1989...

So I want GS opinions.

Im leaning towards Bridgestone form bikebandit

Bridgestones might be OK, but surely you can find a better source than Bike BANDIT.

I just got tires for my Wing from Chaparral Motorsports, via Amazon. They were sitting on my doorstep about 36 hours after I placed the order.
    (Saved over $200 in the process, too. )

Many of us have gone to the Shinko 230 Tour Master for our GSes, with generally good results.
    I have gotten them from Motorcycle Superstore, they are about $130 for the pair.
    Get them, bring them over, we can get them mounted.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_brother View Post
      So I am online and there are so many opinions and options out there

I am replacing my tires from 1989...

So I want GS opinions.

Im leaning towards Bridgestone form bikebandit
      Don't do the Bridgestones if you ride in the rain. I had them on my 750 last year and was not impressed, not to mention they only lasted 5000miles! Went to Avon Roadriders...just put another one on the 750 and two avon roadriders on my gs1100e. They look great and perform even better!!
      No signature :(

Comment

Go with the avons as Trevor said, they are awesome. The second I rode with them I noticed a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by evan132 View Post
          Go with the avons as Trevor said, they are awesome. The second I rode with them I noticed a difference.
          Link for the Avons?

Comment

Link for the Avons?
            Motorcycle Superstore is my usual source:

Please note that the 100/90-19 front is listed under rear tires -- it's actually built so that it will work on either end of the bike.

Since it appears that you're working on an 1100GL, I believe you'll want the MT90-16 rear.
            Last edited by bwringer; 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

1st, finding a "deal" on line may not be a deal. retailers often sell tires w/ OLD date codes for an appearant "discount".but after shipping costs you save very little & own a 5+ year old tire. Then when you take the tire to the shop to mount, the shop will charge you top $ since you didn't buy the tire from them. I suggest looking @ the inventory of your local shops, look @ the date codes & maybe buy locally.

As for Bridgstones not wearing well?, WHICH tire was it? a BT17, 19, 21, 22 ???. Tires have different "hardness" values. Softer tires wear quicker, don't work in cool weather either as they need heat to make them stick.

Avon touring tires are a good selection. There are many good selections out there. Good luck

Comment

I bought my 3 Avon Roadriders (front and back for the 1100 and one rear for the 750) at Canada's motorcycle

Paid $349 for all three, taxes incl. and shipped to my door in one week. We have a guy here in Victoria that is a retired Harley mech. that does tires in his garage. I pulled the 1100 into his garage, went and had a coffee and 1 hour later tires done. 50 bucks! Eff the dealerships!! I have tried to give them my business but I am sick and tired of their BS!
                No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by redstedman View Post
                  1st, finding a "deal" on line may not be a deal. retailers often sell tires w/ OLD date codes for an appearant "discount".but after shipping costs you save very little & own a 5+ year old tire.....

...I suggest looking @ the inventory of your local shops, look @ the date codes & maybe buy locally.
                  I've found the exact opposite to be true -- large online retailers move a LOT of tires, so their inventory is always quite fresh. Motorcycle Superstore is one of the largest, and they have a warehouse in Louisville, very close to the OP in Dayton, OH.

Local shops sometimes have some pretty ancient tires sitting on the shelves, so you do want to watch out for that.

There may be some disreputable online retailers selling old tires at a discount, but I've never actually seen one.

Then when you take the tire to the shop to mount, the shop will charge you top $ since you didn't buy the tire from them.
                  This is definitely a problem -- I sort of assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that the OP would be mounting tires himself, since that's what I do.

If you're not mounting your own tires, check with your local shop first. Many do indeed refuse to mount "internet tires", or charge ridiculous prices. Many will actually offer to order the tires for you and sometimes the total price is quite reasonable. Some shops are fine with mounting carry-in tires, some aren't. It's pretty variable, so check first. And as noted, buying locally is definitely worth a try.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I don't know what all is out there, all I know is what I have.
                    I ended buying Avon Roadriders when I was looking for tires.
                    They turned out being a better tire than I expected. I have them
                    on both my bikes. It was well after I bought them that I found out
                    how popular they were on this site.

Oh, I almost forgot to post the link for Avon Roadriders.
                    Last edited by sedelen; 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM. Reason: Posted Link.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

You want something round and black...

Comment

I settled for Dunlaps from Schmidt Auto In Springboro, OH

Comment

Then when you take the tire to the shop to mount, the shop will charge you top $ since you didn't buy the tire from them.
                          Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          This is definitely a problem -- I sort of assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that the OP would be mounting tires himself, since that's what I do.

If you're not mounting your own tires, check with your local shop first. Many do indeed refuse to mount "internet tires", or charge ridiculous prices.
                          Evidently you guys missed an earlier post. Let's see if BIG_brother noticed it.
                          Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Get them, bring them over, we can get them mounted.
                          sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Evidently you guys missed an earlier post. Let's see if BIG_brother noticed it.

I caught the post . only charged me 25 for mounting 250 grand total

Comment

I caught the post . only charged me 25 for mounting 250 grand total
                              250 grand???

I wish I could afford that.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X