New fork seals leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fork seals leaking

A few weeks ago Rob and I put in progressive springs and seals in my 750. Last night the wife and I went for a ride and when I got home noticed some oil at the front of my gas tank. It had come from the top of the forks. Also oil from the seal on the same left fork. WTF??
    Funny because before we put in the springs I never had any leaks.
    I cecked the bolt/nut at the top of the fork and it was tight.
    Help?
    Thanks,
    Trevor

PS I noticed someone else has a leaky "new" for seal after putting it progressive springs. Bad seals maybe?
    Last edited by trevor; 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM.
    No signature

Only thing I can think of is the air cap on the top of the fork, or the washer on the tube top bolt, and possibly not pounding the seal down enough on the lower. Or a defective seal. If it didn't leak before I can't see it being from any scratches on the tube.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Defective seal from new, you put it in upside down by mistake, worn fork bushes, scratched / pitted forks, too much oil, scratched / gouged fork lowers (where the seal fits).

Any one of those - upside down is more common than you would think (especially on one fork).
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
      X