Front end vibration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end vibration.

I hope this is the right section for my question...
    I have a 1981 GS650 GL as my primary means of transportation. Some number of months ago (less than a year) it developed a front end vibration, the bars shake side to side not enough to change course or loose control, but none the less the whole bike shakes. It happens intermittently, but usually in the morning or whenever I first get out at low speeds around 15-35 mph. I can't find anything loose, however the front tire is worn (probably going to need replaced before the end of this summer.) Could the worn tread be causing this problem? Anything else anybody think it could be? Anybody had this problem before? Like I said I ride the bike all the time but it only shakes sometimes. The problem started out of no where (last mods went on six months or so prior to) and has not gotten any better or worse.

Check you steering stem bearings.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Heavymetalazer666 View Post
      Could the worn tread be causing this problem?
      Id like to see a picture and the date code on that tire. If it looks worn and this is your main mode of transportation.....dont wait. Change it now.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Heaveymetalazer666,

Yes, check for play in the forks. With the bike on the center stand go to the front of the bike, grab the forks, and pull/push them back and forth. If there is any movement back and forth you need to at least tighten the steering stem nut until you can replace the bearings. Then, while sitting on the bike (still on the center stand) turn the handlebars left and right slowly through the full range. If there is any "notchy-ness" then the bearings have to be replaced. DEFINITELY replace both tires. If you check the date codes I'm sure you will find that they are very old. Depending on sun exposure, a 4 year old tire is about the limit for me. Check this out:

Used bike buying checklists:
        http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riding/Street/Resources/UsedBikeChecklist.aspx
        http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Now here is your "mega-welcome" with lots more information.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X