X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front tire removal cause fork leak?

Hey guys, I have a quick question.

*Story*
    I finally caved and took my '82 GS 650 to a shop in town. One of the things I had him do was fix the speedometer cable gearing in the front tire. This was fixed when we picked it up four days ago. I drove it from his shop to my garage (maybe 5-7 miles at max). It has since been wheeled out of the garage once to start it and do some charging system diagnostics (day 2 home) and then some more blinker 'diagnostics' sitting in the garage (day 3 home). When I came out today and was moving some stuff by the bike I noticed a small puddle by the front wheel. It seems the fork is leaking (it appears to be from the fork boot). I'm pretty sure it needed to be resealed before I took it in (it's been sitting in the garage for almost a year now), but I don't remember it ever leaking, let alone leaving a small puddle.
    *Question*
    Is there anyway that he could have botched the fork up when he worked on the speedometer gears or could the heat of the garage just (it's currently around 90F in the front of the garage) have expanded the oil enough to make it leak? I just want some advice before I call him back complaining about this too. Any input and thought is appreciated. Thanks!

he would have only had to remove the front wheel to fix the speedo drive, he would not have to disturb the fork leg itself.the heat would not expand the oil enough to make it leak.
    i dont think you can blame the mechanic in any way, it is just an unfortunate coincidence i am afraid.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

That's what I figured. I'm grumbly with the mechanic for other reasons, but I'm trying to keep a mellow head and not blame him for anything. I figured there wasn't any real way he could have affected the fork... unless he worked on them thinking it was another GS he had there and did them poorly. It just seemed weird that they'd start leaking out of no where and without the bike being used. Ah well, guess it'll just get added to the list of current known issues. Thank you for your reply Agemax.

Comment

Working...
      X