Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs450T - suspension and fork improvements

Hey,
    Just wanted to pass along the results of some upgrades I did. I'm sure others have done similar, but thought I'd add to the mix anyway.

On the rear suspension I add the standard Progressive 412 shocks. These are 13" and the ones called for by the company for this bike. Being 6'1" and 215# the tech support said I was right on the line between the standard and the heavy duty if I was doing 2up for a majority of my riding. However, since I go 1up 80% of the time, he recommended staying with the standards. Let me say, that was very good advice. The ride is completely different and makes this little 'ol bike feel like a larger more solid ride.

The second thing I did was add the Tarozzi, 24-0039 front fork brace. Previously, I could watch the front wheel twist and torque during power turns (coming off of a stop sign, exiting the driveway, etc.) After putting this brace on, the front end was rock solid. No noticeable torqueing. Even the mid speed turns at 30-40 mph with 2up, the front end was solid and tracked excellently. Because of the type of metal, I will be able to add a fine painting finish to this brace so it adds a nice look - versus the dull gray/green color that it comes in.

Between these two changed, the bike is riding like a new-ish bmw. I feel very secure in maneuvering through the city roads, as well as, scooting along the open highway. If you've had concerns or hesitations, allow me to pass along a double recommendation for both of these upgrades. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks for that Steve, good to know!

I went Ikon shocks and Ikon progressive fork springs and yeah a total transformation from stock.

I recently bumped the pre-load on the shocks up one notch as I felt they were a little soft and so far I'm really liking it.

I'm thinking of adding a PVC pre-load spacer to the forks next as there's just a little too much initial sag in them I feel.

I don't have a fork brace as such but when I made the bracket for my front mudguard I tried to make it in such a way as to act as at least a minimal brace and it seems ok. I haven't ridden with a fork brace though so I can't really comment too much on that.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
    X