Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 GS850G - Front Caliper Piston Set parts numbers

Hey folks

I'm confused about choosing the right part number.
    Maybe someone has the patience to go through this and assist me.

I've got a Suzuki GS850G 1986 (G Model).

It was never available in the US, but I have read many times that it is mostly the same as the 1983 available in the states, with just cosmetic differences. So if I shop for parts in the US I usually buy parts from the 1983 Model D.

But first I always check the parts numbers on www.cmsnl.com and other sites such as Boulevard to verify they are the same for both years. They usually are.

Until now.

When trying to determine the part number for a Front Caliper Piston Set I see a difference between the two years.

See Part 1 in the following fiches.
    1983: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs850-g-...5.html#results
    1986: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs850-19...6.html#results
    Also see the 1983 Boulevard fiche, which concurs with Cmsnl but includes the superseded part number: http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1982&fveh=2144

In sumary:
    Cmsnl 1983 Piston Set - Part: 59301-45822
    Cmsnl 1986 Piston Set - Part: 59301-45821 (previously* 59301-45820)
    Boulvrd 1983 Piston Set - Part: 59301-45822 (previously* 59301-45820)

As you can see, the two years have different part numbers, but they USED to be the same!

I also see another small difference between the two years: the 1986 has an additional part (part 11 - 'Bush'). This item seems to have been added in 1984. All other part numbers seem identical including the Piston Seal and Piston Boot. The only difference seems to be this Bush and the Piston Set part number.

So does anyone know whether the differing Piston Set part numbers are really significant?
    Can anyone tell me with confidence whether part 59301-45822 will fit my 1986 bike?

If its hard to tell, then I'll just buy from Cmsnl. I'd just rather save shipping and taxes and buy from the US as I have a friend from the US visiting soon who could bring me the parts.

Many thanks for your trouble
    Assaf

Maybe Cmsnl just has a typographical error, because here I found a different fiche where it shows the same parts number as the 1983.

I'll send Csmnl an email.

Comment

Try another oem lookup site. Some will list all the models a particular part will fit, or even try amazon or eBay for that function. It might save you some time.

Comment

Well I received a response from Cmsnl that their fiche info for the 1986 is indeed out of date. The part number they show for the 1986 is superseded by the part shown for the 1983. So the parts are indeed the same for all the bikes.

So that solves my problem of right now.

However for next time, Cable Guy's suggestion sounds like a good idea.
        But I'm trying it now, and not finding any particularly good sites for that kind of search.

I've googled the part number, and by looking through various sites I've seen that the part is used on quite a few models. But no site gave me a really comprehensive list. Each site just gave a few of the bikes. None of them, so far, list the GS850.

Can anyone can point me to a particularly good site for this kind of search?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X