Front brake lever slow to return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake lever slow to return

I rebuilt my ft M/C last week and was working fine. Now it is slow to return. Takes about 5 sec. to return fully. It had the original suzuki parts in it, done the same thing, thats why I rebuilt it. I had a K&L kit so I used it. Lever moves free. Any Ideas?? Thanks Mark.

i trust you cleaned out the M/C thoroughly when it was disassembled including the bore for the piston. did you refit the spring that goes in the bore before the piston?
    what brake fluid are you using?
    those K&L kits have varying revues of quality, was the piston with new seals tight to get in the bore when refitted?

if you still cant cure it then it could be the K&L seal kit, it could have expanded in the bore once in contact with brake fluid. if that seems the case then replace with OEM suzuki seal kit
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Take it apart, make sure the bore is clean and the spring is free, then make sure the dust boot isn't bunched up around the end of the plunger where the lever contacts it.

Comment

If it did it before and after your MC work, I would suspect the caliper, or perhaps even the lines.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yup on the caliper. The grey scale is built up behind the piston seal and not letting then piston return freely once compressed against the rotor.

And yes to the lines as well..old ones deteriorate from the inside out and chunks can make clogs.

I would refresh the calipers and new lines if they are older than 2 or 3 years.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            ...if you still cant cure it then it could be the K&L seal kit, it could have expanded in the bore once in contact with brake fluid. if that seems the case then replace with OEM suzuki seal kit
            Agreed -- the K&L kits are dangerous junk.

Get an OEM kit.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the info, I still have the original brake lines and the calipers have never been apart. Looks like it's time to rebuild the ft. brakes!!

Comment

Working...
              X