PVC tubing for GS1000 fork spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PVC tubing for GS1000 fork spacers

Living in the UK can anyone reccomend what thickness PVC tubing I would require to make some front fork spring spacers.

are you referring to the wall thickness of the pvc tubing or the actual length of the spacer required?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi Adrian, sorry, it is a suitable thickness PVC tubing I was looking for advice on and does the tubing need to be fork oil resistant. The reason I am looking to add PVC tube spacers is that the fork sag with the new progressive springs is about 2.75 inches so I was looking to add a 2cm spacer to reduce the sag.

Comment

any pvc tube will be fork oil proof. i think it is 1" diameter pipe you need. it is so cheap, get a length and cut spacers 20,30 and 40mm then you can try the different sizes until you are happy with the results.
        make sure you cut them square!
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Yes on square cuts. I would use a power chop saw or a miter box for making the cuts.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by gs79 View Post
            Living in the UK can anyone reccomend what thickness PVC tubing I would require to make some front fork spring spacers.
            Not trying to be a fool but using PVC tubing instead of metal is that realy a good idea with insurance companys doing their best not too pay out.....

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
              Not trying to be a fool but using PVC tubing instead of metal is that realy a good idea with insurance companys doing their best not too pay out.....
              it seems to be one of the most common fork mods on the site. appears there are quite a few members that use it. of course, once the correct spacers have been established using the pvc pipe, it would be easy and cheap to get aluminium spacers made to the same size.
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Use 1/4'' wall thickness. If it's could enuff for Progressive Suspensions to include in their spring packages, it's good enuff for me. Bob

Comment

Hi,

My Progressive springs came with what I think is a length of Schedule 80 PVC pipe in the package to be used as spacers. The factory spacers were metal but were too long. The Sch. 80 pipe is plenty thick and strong for that application. I'll bet Sch. 40 PVC pipe will do just fine too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Many thanks for your replies, I will take a trip to the hardware store and see what I can find.

Comment

I was doing fork seals on a guys bike [gs650] and when I took the forks apart low and behold they had wooden dowels in them about 1.5 inches long. I asked the guy about them and he said he put them in when the bike was new because the front end was to soft. So they had been there about 28 years and were still in great shape . I put them back in for him , that is what he wanted.
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

racetech stuff comes with pvc. good enough for them.
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
                        X