EBC brakes don't fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBC brakes don't fit

I rebuilt one of my front calipers yesterday and had a hell of a time getting my new EBC brake pads to seat. I finally did get them fully seated, with much difficulty and a lot of hammering.

However, I had to pound the caliper back into alignment. The pads are rubbing on the rotor, and the piston is fully compressed.

Do these just suck?

i would hazard a guess and say they were the wrong pads!!!!!!!!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Do you normally have to hammer them in place, or should they fit with ease?

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post
        Do you normally have to hammer them in place, or should they fit with ease?
        sorry, but if you even need to ask that question, you should not be working on brakes............
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Sorry bud, didn't realize you were on your period.

Go drink some cranberry juice, I'll get someone else to help me out.

Comment

Wow, good luck finding help bud.

Comment

Get a bigger hammer.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ya with that attitude you probably wont find much help here
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

azr and I installed new EBC's on my 79 GS1000 and we encountered a poor fit as well. Apparently it is a common issue with EBC's. Instead of using the delicate persuasion of a big hammer, we just patiently filed around the outside of the pads until it would go on easier. It is tedious, but do-able.
                  IBA# 12860
                  Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                  1984 KZ1100R
                  2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                  2011 Concours 1400

Comment

I just did my rear caliper with EBC pads, they fell in no problem- my hammer was disappointed- maybe I did something wrong!
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I installed new EBC pads on my 650, and they slipped in with nary a worry.

Any chance your pistons aren't fully retracting?
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Well the piston is fully compressed as far as I can tell, but the pads not seating completely shouldn't be related to the pistons. It's good to know that others have had this issue before.

Thanks guys.

-Matt

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post
                          Well the piston is fully compressed as far as I can tell, but the pads not seating completely shouldn't be related to the pistons. It's good to know that others have had this issue before.

Thanks guys.

-Matt
                          I guess I'm not following what you mean by "seating" then. In which direction are you hitting on the pads to get them to "seat"?

Can you post some pics to show what's going on?

Eddie21's comment makes me think it could be a GS1000 specific issue.
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

I will take pictures next week, the bike is in my friend's garage and I won't be going back out there until I get my parts in to rebuild the other caliper.

It appears to me that the brake pad is just barely too large a diameter to fit in the hole. It is this way on both sides of the caliper. I also had to use a good amount of "mechanical persuasion" to get the old pads out - I had to wail on the back side of the pad with a hammer, holding the caliper in a vice. Because of the poor fit, the pad might not be all the way down in the hole, that's what I mean by fully seated.

It could certainly be unique to the gs1000/ebc combination of parts. I might just get a different brand of brake pads and see what happens.

Comment

Okay,

That gives me a better mental picture of what's going on...I don't see any issue with fixing the problem using Eddie21's method.
                              '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                              X