170 on a 5.5" rim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

170 on a 5.5" rim?

currently i have a 180/55/17 rear tire on my GS, the clearance of the chain has always been tight between frame and tire and the chain has always run a few MM out of true with the front sprocket.(never caused an issue).
    if i fitted a 170/60/17 i could machine the sprocket carrier to enable the sprockets to line up correctly,give me a slightly better clearance between chain and frame, and between chain and tire.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
    currently i have a 180/55/17 rear tire on my GS, the clearance of the chain has always been tight between frame and tire and the chain has always run a few MM out of true with the front sprocket.(never caused an issue).
    if i fitted a 170/60/17 i could machine the sprocket carrier to enable the sprockets to line up correctly,give me a slightly better clearance between chain and frame, and between chain and tire.
    I run 170/60-18 on a 4.5" wheel which is only a bit over sized but causes no problems. This would lead me to think that going to 5.5" would be a big jump, but 180/55 v.s. 170/60 doesn't seem like much of a change.

DUNNO??

Comment

Will you be using the same wheel that's on there now (is that the 5/5" rim)? If so, I would not think that any sprocket carrier machining would be necessary, just install the narrower tire and enjoy the extra clearance.

Or is your question centered on "is it OK to mount a 170 tire on the 5.5" rim?"
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, i have a 5.5" rim on there already. if you read my post i want to go to a 170 so i can line the sprockets up correctly and gain slightly better clearance between chain and frame. i cant do this with the 180 tire fitted at the moment
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Steve, i have a 5.5" rim on there already. if you read my post i want to go to a 170 so i can line the sprockets up correctly and gain slightly better clearance between chain and frame. i cant do this with the 180 tire fitted at the moment
          Why not go get a 1989 GSXR 1100 17x4.5" 2nd gen wheel wheel which will fit the 170/60-17 well and you get plenty of clearance.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

You are feeling why I went with the 88 GSXR 1100 wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Why not go get a 1989 GSXR 1100 17x4.5" 2nd gen wheel wheel which will fit the 170/60-17 well and you get plenty of clearance.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

You are feeling why I went with the 88 GSXR 1100 wheels.
            TBH Pos, i can only just afford the new tyre, i cant afford to get another wheel as well.
            if i know a 170 tyre will fit on my rim i will be happy. if i have to stick with a 180 then so be it.....
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

TBH Pos, i can only just afford the new tyre, i cant afford to get another wheel as well.
              if i know a 170 tyre will fit on my rim i will be happy. if i have to stick with a 180 then so be it.....
              Well the other thing is to make sure you have the smallest chain. There is a lot of variation even in the 530 size. Checkout Katman's website I think he compares some to find the narrowest one.

Comment

i have a Regina 530 non o ring chain. i wont go lower than a 530.
                the chain clearance is not really the issue. i just wanted to know if i could fit a 170 tyre with no problems. i added the chain clearance info just to explain why i want to go to a 170. the 180 works fine, just not perfect.
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

i have a Regina 530 non o ring chain. i wont go lower than a 530.
                  the chain clearance is not really the issue. i just wanted to know if i could fit a 170 tyre with no problems. i added the chain clearance info just to explain why i want to go to a 170. the 180 works fine, just not perfect.

Well I guess I'm not getting it ; chain clearance is the predominate issue and a narrower chain (not 520) will help (there is a wide variation in width for the 530 chains).

Of course mine is a GS1100ED, but at the end my chain pretty much splits the difference between the frame and tire with 5mm each side and only about 0.2" of misalignment. I did not worry too much about the chain and size but suspect I could improve with a narrower chain but don't need to.

I did do a rear to front wheel alignment today and I have about 5mm of clearance between 530 chain to frame and 530 chain to tire. I'm using 3/8" offset countersproket and as best I could tell I'm out 0.200" out on the chain ; Rear wheel is 4.5x18 with 170/60-18.

Comment

my chain will fit with perfect alignment and clearance either side IF i can fit a 170 rear tyre on my 5.5" rim.
                    that is all i am asking.........WILL IT FIT?
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

my chain will fit with perfect alignment and clearance either side IF i can fit a 170 rear tyre on my 5.5" rim.
                      that is all i am asking.........WILL IT FIT?
                      If the question is "Can I mount a 170 on a 5.5" wheel", I have little doubt it can be done. You might need a strap around the circumference to get the bead to seat but it is doable. The bigger question is what profile is the tire going to have and that has little to do with chain clearance.

You seem very definite that you know what the overall width of the tire is going to be after mounting. I have my doubts because those 170/60 dimensions are assuming an appropriate rim size.

So I guess I would suggest that if you switch to a 170 you will get the worse of both world; not much change in overall tire width and, a deformed tire profile

But yea sure It will FIT.

That is why I suggest finding a rim that will actually fit the 170 (to match your assumed mounted dimensions) or reduce the width of the chain so you have more wiggle room for alignment
                      Last edited by posplayr; 06-20-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

ok i will rephrase it to make life a little easier......

has anyone fitted a 170/60/17 rear tyre to a 5.5" rim, and if so does it fit ok without any issues?

thanks.

oh, and by the way, i will lose 5mm each side on the width by swapping to a 170.

170/60-R17 tires are 0.24 inches (6 mm) larger in diameter than 180/55-R17 tires and the speedometer difference is 0.9%
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

ok i will rephrase it to make life a little easier......

has anyone fitted a 170/60/17 rear tyre to a 5.5" rim, and if so does it fit ok without any issues?

thanks.

oh, and by the way, i will lose 5mm each side on the width by swapping to a 170.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...5r17-170-60r17
                          I doubt it, as I previously stated when you force a 170/60 to fit onto a 5.5" rim it is not going to retain it's ideal shape on which those calculations are based. The bead of the tire is still going to be out at 5.5" regardless if it is 180/55 or 170/60.

I will say I have never mounted one though, there is really no reason to think it is going to achieve what you want.

Comment

Adrian, try here, I was looking for the tyre size and rim suitability chart I used the one here on this site : http://users.powernet.co.uk/cwc/broc...c_brochure.pdf

I also checke dup on acouple of others when I was researching the wheels for my GS. I've been looking and they are on the net, I'll look a bit more.
                            But an inch does sound like a lot to soak up on the rim.
                            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

with a bit of research on Gixxer.com apparantly a 1990 GSXR750 has a 5.5" rim and comes with a 170/60/17 tyre as standard.

checking on alphasports fiche diagram indeed proves to be correct.
                              so, i have just answered my own question.

thanks for the input anyway.....
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X