Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 Marzoochi rear shocks

Hello,

So I'm the just started the bike after 10 years asleep guy. Engine still seems to be running well. Been on a few short rides.

I've been trying to get up to speed on the front and rear shocks, ensure they're in good shape, proper air pressure and balanced front and rear.

The rear shocks don't appear stock. (Can't find the cable to download a picture for you guys) They're red, black springs stamped "Marzoochi" with air assist and the usual stepped settings for the springs. I think I've seen them today on a picture of another guy's GS. Look like they're selling on ebay for around 500

Anyway, anyone have advice on how to ensure proper settings to ensure front and rear shocks are balanced?

Any feedback on these shocks?

They were the shocks of the day way back when. Charged with Nitrogen but I have heard you can just use air. Apparently they are fairly stiff though. A few guys on here still ride with them. One fella is trying to sell a set with no takers yet, but we tend to be 'thrifty' around these parts. Any pictures up of your bike? if it had those shocks on it what other nifty mods does it have? as for the front shocks a common replacement spring is Progressive, but if you're short on money simply putting in fresh fork oil can improve things a fair bit. I have done a cheap mod to old springs by cutting off approximately 3 inches of the old spring then putting in a PVC spacer to about 1 inch about the fork. Definitely improved things but not like putting in Progressives which I've done on my other bikes. Some guys on here who want a more 'precise' ride put in Sonics which are not such a generalized spring as Progressive.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGS1000 View Post
      Hello,

So I'm the just started the bike after 10 years asleep guy. Engine still seems to be running well. Been on a few short rides.

I've been trying to get up to speed on the front and rear shocks, ensure they're in good shape, proper air pressure and balanced front and rear.

The rear shocks don't appear stock. (Can't find the cable to download a picture for you guys) They're red, black springs stamped "Marzoochi" with air assist and the usual stepped settings for the springs. I think I've seen them today on a picture of another guy's GS. Look like they're selling on ebay for around 500

Anyway, anyone have advice on how to ensure proper settings to ensure front and rear shocks are balanced?

Any feedback on these shocks?
      No way on $500.00. 300 maybe

Comment

Ya, these ones haven't been sold yet but he's putting them on ebay soon so we'll all see how popular they still are. You sure don't see these much at all on ebay. Should be interesting. They're still considered good shocks and you can still get parts for them to rebuild if needed.

Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks,

Here's a shot of the bike. The only other "modification" I can put my finger on is extra thick hand grips. I'm use to them now. Otherwise it seems pretty standard, but maybe you can pick something out from the picture.

I'm keeping the rear shocks on for now anyway. No ebay for me. I was just curious what they were going for and one guy seems to be shooting for 500. Guess it's a longshot.

One side doesn't seem to be holding air so I'm going to try replacing the valve core.

The manual says it's pretty crucial to get the balance of the front air pressure and rear shock settings correct. Given these rear shocks aren't stock, any suggestions on how to get the balance right? Is it a matter of "feel"? Is it a matter of safety?

Comment

Working...
          X