82 Katana steering plunger thingy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 Katana steering plunger thingy??

This is something I haven't seen on other Katana's ive looked at, but its on mine.. looks like there should be 2 but only one is on. Its on the passenger side frame bolted to the right side shock.. what is that for and is it needed? should I find another one for the left side? I will take a pic and post it

heres a dark picture to show what I mean

Comment

That is a steering damper, and generally there will be only one (cue bad Highlander joke here)
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

is it really needed?? the bushing inside both ends fall out and don't really do much since its sloppy.. or are bushings available for them.

thanx.

Comment

It came stock without one, so shouldn't really need it. I don't remember much about that bike when it was new (I was barely old enough to be into street bikes then), or if it had a reputation for having a twitchy front end.

I can't say for sure if yours is needed, but I have a hard time imagining someone pushing that 550 to the point where it would be required.

That it is on there at all might point to some problem (bearings, alignment, poorly balanced wheel) in the front end that a PO thought could be alleviated with the steering. It'd probably be best to take it off so you can evaluate the front end properly.

Are there any markings on that damper rod to help identify whether replacement parts might be available?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

there is a name on it but I forgot what it was,, I will write it down tomorrow.. thanx again.

Comment

I don't have one on my 550 kat and it's one of the best handling and enjoyable machines to ride I own. Like it's on rails! So long as everything else is in good order I think you'll be fine to take it off and forget about it.
              It's smoke that make electronic components work.
              Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
              '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
              '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
              '82 GS1000SZ
              '82 GS1100GL
              '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

thanx for the info. I will try and get the bike ready for next month and give it a try without it on.

rick

Comment

Working...
                X