Those with air valves in the fork tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those with air valves in the fork tubes

Bear with me, it's only my second motorcycle and I never did care about the first one. I took a picture of the top of my forks:

I read a section in the Clymer manual about adjusting air pressure in the front suspension. Do I have those air valves on my forks?

Because after reading that, I got my tire pressure gauge from my car and found there's no pressure in them. Is it only for when adding weight to the front, air needs to be added to the forks, but remain empty for the rest of the time?

If you have the fittings, they are designed to have additional air applied.

The fact that you don't have air in there is one of the reasons that we prefer to go with stronger metal springs and forego additional air in the forks.
    (The other reason is that the fork springs were simply too weak in the first place, and have gotten worse in the last 30+ years.)

If you do decide to run air, do NOT use an un-regulated, high-pressure air feed. It takes very little air to put them up to the recommended 7 to 15 psi, or whatever the book calls for.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also, be careful. Those air valves can break VERY easily. I learned that the hard way.
      sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
      1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
      1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
      1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
      1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
      1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
      1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
      1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation and tips guys.

Comment

You also need a low pressure air gauge. I think mine is 0-20 psi...I've had it forever. I've installed Progressive brand springs in my E-model's forks so no air anymore. I'm still running the original springs in my T model's forks and I shoot for 7-10 psi. Prepare for a lot of aggravation getting them balanced...you'll relieve a pound or so each time you check it.
          sigpic
          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Upgrade to Progressive springs and forget about the air...

Comment

Finding a good low pressure gauge and pump was the big stumbling block I had doing mine.
              Suzuki included a gauge with their bikes, and those are hard to come by. I acquired one but it's unserviceable.
              I use a tire pressure gauge and a small hand pump. Also, you're supposed to set the air without any weight on the front forks, which is great is you have a friend that will sit on the back of the bike while on the centerstand, but I have found out it matters little whether the wheels are off the ground or not.
              My GS1000 has independent air shocks, each fork leg has it's own valve, getting those two close is important. My GS1000E each fork has it's own valve also but there's a jumper to "equalize' the pressure in each.
              Anyhow, I very rarely check the pressure in those and the bikes ride very well. Probably should do that next time out.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Can anyone point me to a thread on the site with tips on installing progressive springs? Is is one of the more straightforward jobs or a tricky one?

Comment

One way to go is to use a portable air tank. Inflate the tank to the pressure you want in your forks, and then just connect & hold the air tank's chuck to your forks. You won't have to worry about the huge variations in pressure vs. tiny volumes of air in/out. The tank's pressure isn't going to change appreciably while you do this, so the two forks are inflated equally, as well as accurately.

For that matter, you could do the same thing just draining an air compressor and then running it up to the desired pressure... but as mentioned, what's needed is a good, accurate 0-15 psi gauge.
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

You can go with Progressive springs or the Sonic straight springs. I'm not liking the way the 80 1100E forks I installed are working, think I'm going to ditch the old stock springs and go with the Sonics. Eliminate the air fitting in the process as well.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                    X