Spokes... On a shaft drive (82 650G)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spokes... On a shaft drive (82 650G)?

Now ever since I have seen the custom hubs, rims, etc. that they do at the shop I work at, I have toyed with the idea of having spokes on my 650. At this point now, thanks to my unpaid shop apprenticeship, I have access to a C&C, lathe, press, etc. I could definitely custom cut a hub, but feel like that wouldn't be very cost effective on my side. The C&C would be last resort if I could even afford it. I'll ask my boss the next time I'm in the shop, to see if it would even be a possibility.
    But, I have also seen people using Virago wheels (probably won't work), BMW spoked rims (from the GS line interestingly enough), an even some Goldwing rims here and there.

Basically:
    -Is this idea even thees-able? I have never seen too much talk of it for shafties.
    -Would it even look good (I can only tell on something this big after I mock something up)?
    -Would it be possible to just steal a set of rims from another bike and try to machine it to fit? Preferably without weakening the drive components.

If its not really a great idea, I am perfectly fine with just powdercoating the mags and would be happy with that. I just want a few one-off pieces that I doubt anyone else would have.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2013, 01:37 PM.

The big advantage of having mag wheels is that on a bike as heavy and as powerful as these you tend to have to adjust the spokes fairly often if you have spoked wheels.

I had a fairly worked XR600R (~50rwhp) and it chewed spokes like no tomorrow if you neglected them... and that was a very light bike, maybe 140kg fuelled (23L).

I'd stick to mags and perhaps try a baremetal resto on them to get them looking to your tastes.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Originally posted by boingk View Post
      The big advantage of having mag wheels is that on a bike as heavy and as powerful as these you tend to have to adjust the spokes fairly often if you have spoked wheels.

I had a fairly worked XR600R (~50rwhp) and it chewed spokes like no tomorrow if you neglected them... and that was a very light bike, maybe 140kg fuelled (23L).
      Let me guess, no rubber cush drive on that Honda? That's what chews them up.
      Bigger bikes use spokes just fine.
      Ridden several hundred thousand miles on big bikes with spokes, it all works.
      The hard part will be finding a rear wheel, although some later model Suzuki had shaft drive and spoked wheels. Sorry I don't remember which model it was.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

All of the later style will be too wide A later shafty wire could work maybe with a custom rim with the GS sized rim Never tried it..

Comment

Try a Suzuki Intruder wheel, only 15" though
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Spokes.

If you end up carving your own hub with the cnc you could just as easily cut an 80 spoke as a 40. There are many 80 rims available, add stainless spokes and any worry over durability goes out the window.

Comment

Intruder wheel...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                Intruder wheel...
                That is the general consensus I have gotten. However, a quick look at it when someone mentioned it on another forum and I felt like it was a) too big and b) didn't even look correct for the shaft. However, I won't pretend to know how to do this

So, what would using the intruder wheel entail? And, could I use a bigger rim, say match the rim size of the stock one and use the intruder hub? The intruder wheel is kind of ugly barely showing a couple inches of spokes, I would love to change that

Basically, any pointers for this to work?

Comment

With enough time, money and imagination anything is possible.
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

sorry to bring up an old thread but i started digging again... it would actually be quite cheap. 65 for a intruder rear wheel shipped seen here http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-Suzuki-In...703b7d&vxp=mtr

now, the front wheel i will ask my boss to make a custom front hub for the gsxr front end conversion.

now, does any one know if the 87 intruder wheel will fit? im trying to find dimensiions but with no luck so far.

Comment

Some viragos have spoked wheels,
                      adapting one would be simplish
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                        Some viragos have spoked wheels,
                        adapting one would be simplish
                        only reason i want to try and stick with the intruder is that it SHOOOUUULLLLLDDDDDDD be the same. ease of fitment would be nice since ill have to machine a custom front hub lol

dimensions anyone?

Comment

It's been talked about many times, but I've never seen it actually done.

An Intruder hub might make a good starting point -- the driven spline in the wheel is the same part number as on the GS shafties, and the axle is the same diameter (17mm).

However, it's a drum brake, so working around that could be problematic. Any way you slice it, you'll need to whip up some custom spacers.

Offset? Who knows? You'll have to measure and see.

No idea if the 15" rim would cause any problems. The wider tire might hit the swingarm. You won't know until you try. If the geometry works outPerhaps you could have Buchanan's make some custom spokes and lace up a 16" or 17" rim.

In the end, everyone so far has decided to just use the regular rim and clean it up nice.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            It's been talked about many times, but I've never seen it actually done.

An Intruder hub might make a good starting point -- the driven spline in the wheel is the same part number as on the GS shafties, and the axle is the same diameter (17mm).

However, it's a drum brake, so working around that could be problematic. Any way you slice it, you'll need to whip up some custom spacers.

Offset? Who knows? You'll have to measure and see.

No idea if the 15" rim would cause any problems. The wider tire might hit the swingarm. You won't know until you try. If the geometry works outPerhaps you could have Buchanan's make some custom spokes and lace up a 16" or 17" rim.

In the end, everyone so far has decided to just use the regular rim and clean it up nice.
                            thats why i want to try it! all and no conversions!

awesome info bwringer! the same spline/axle dia is a very good start. ill have to check it out in the next week. i have a buddy that i can, uhhh, borrow the rear off his intruder lol

as for the whole drum/disc problem the newer intruder 1400s have a disc. will still have to find the offset but i can still use the brake master n all that.

Comment

Hi Nick, not sure what gsxr front end you have on your bike but a Moto guzzi griso front spoked wheel would go close.

Comment

Working...
                              X