Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about shocks

Hey all,

I'm tired of these overdamped MDIs beating me up. It's time for some real shocks. I'm familiar with most of the reputable brands. What I'm looking for is advice on which features are worth paying for. This is for my 1000G with GK luggage, and I aspire to ride like Bwringer. Occasional gentle 2-up riding is also a consideration.

I've looked at high-end YSS parts with separate pre-load, compression and rebound settings. However, I know Brian has been happy with the Progressives (12 series?) on his 850. If I'm not mistaken, those are only preload adjustable. Are there other features to look for? Different damping profiles? I don't want the equivalent of a damper rod fork on the rear...

What are your thoughts and experiences with different types and features?

Thanks in advance.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

It has been my experience that more adjustment is better, right up until you adjust your self into a crappy/unsafe ride and can't find your way back.

I have also learned that an increase in spring preload should be accompanied with an increase in compression damping, otherwise your springs will simply over-power your compression damping circuit.

That being said... If I was in the market for replacement shocks, they would, at the very least, have adjustable compression damping. just my .02 Paul

Comment

I like the yss better than the progressive 12 series.

You can get preload only on the yss, but they set them up for your individual requirements when they assemble them, so it basically a custom shock for a reasonable price.

1979 GS1000

Comment

The Progressives work pretty darn well, and I was able to get the monster springs required for my, er, mass. After close to 100,000 hard miles, they are wearing out and I suspect I'll be at least replacing the shock bodies soon.

If I had it to do over again, I'd likely pay about the same money and get a set of Hagons. If I had a few more bucks to play with, I'd get a set of Ikons. All are preload adustable.

Hagon and Ikon also build shocks with more adjustments, but then you're into some serious money.

I'm not familiar with YSS.

Quite honestly, my feeling is that the limits of handling on a GS850 are established more by frame flex than the shocks. You do want to make sure you have some sort of quality shocks with the proper preload and springs, of course, but there's going to be little additional benefit (but a lot more cost) to a street rider from moving up to full adjustability.

But hey, if you have the bucks and want everything to be awesome and perfect, then go ahead and order up some Ohlins!
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

For the money you'd spend on anything above the level of shocks we're talking about you could buy a 90's 600 or 750cc supersport and have all the handling and balltearingness you'd ever want.

I like going for a fast belt on my GS as much as any of us here, but when it comes to the crunch my VTR defecates all over it in terms of sport riding.

Just a thought.

- boingk

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
            I have also learned that an increase in spring preload should be accompanied with an increase in compression damping, otherwise your springs will simply over-power your compression damping circuit.

That being said... If I was in the market for replacement shocks, they would, at the very least, have adjustable compression damping. just my .02 Paul
            I believe you mean more rebound damping?
            sigpicJohn Kat
            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
            GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Check me on this, though: Even my MDIs have preload adjust. It seems to me that damping is primarily what separates good handling and ride from what I have now (after proper spring selection). When I hit a bump, it's pretty jarring. If it was only a matter of spring rate and pre-load causing that, I'd have no static sag at all.

While I'm not interested in spending enough to have my suspension made of umlauts, I do want to know what damping options are worth having and how they affect ride and handling. Do some shocks with similar features ride better than others? Is it worthwhile to have separate compression and rebound, or are the "automatic" compression shocks good enough? And how does this "automatic" business work? Is that marketing speak for "you'll take what we give you"?
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Automatic is generally something akin to rising rate. The more it gets hammered the less forgiving the response.

Think corn flour and water mix and you've got the picture.

- boingk

Comment

why dont you try kayaba shock ? its expensive for sure (approximately us$700-800 in indonesia)....but its not as stiff as some type of ohlins that can make your stomach colic when you hit a bumpy roads
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I have a set of the Hagons and have been happy with them. Per the website they have three damping rates available (non adjustable) and three pre-load settings. $ 194 for the set seems to be a decent price.

I got mine approx 4 years ago and called Dave before I bought them and he asked about my riding style, weight, and two up percentage. I purchased what he recommended and they work very well IMHO. Pretty stiff compared to the clapped out stockers but they loosened up in approx 500 miles and ride very well since then.
                    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

What Tim said. I put a set of Hagons on the GK last year and love them. Call them and tell them what you looking to do, I'm sure they will have something that will appeal to you.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I have shocks on my birthday wish list. I can't make up my mind if I want to go Hagons or Progressives though.

Comment

I upgraded from MDI to Progressives recently and love them. Much better ride over bumpy roads, no more sore back and aching kidneys

Comment

i like the ikons on my esd, preload and damping adjustment and rebuildable. can't remember what i paid but as i recall they were comparable to progressives. Also available in custom lengths.

greg
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I enjoyed the Ikon s on my G. Fully adjustable and firm yet not harsh and beating. Of course I got them while they had a big sale and paid about half of retail. Shop around a bit, could be worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X