Swing Arm Conversion For 1979 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing Arm Conversion For 1979 GS1000

So I've come across a GS1000 that I think I'm gonna pick up for $900 in great shape...

...and I'm thinking to try and do a swing arm conversion.

What is everyone's opinion on the idea and what are the primary reasons for doing so? I would think weight and a wider tire would be the greatest benefits. My 650 with stock suspension bounced me into a little skid doing 70 earlier today!

As far as having better than average handling with these older bikes, would having good dual shocks suffice as opposed to adding a gsxr swing arm like I've heard some people do.

If most people find it to not be an insane of amount of custom fabricating, yet yielding some pretty beneficial performance enhancements, I think I might tackle it.

I've heard gs1100 swingarms will mount right on, but do they offer a wider tire? GSXR and Bandit swingarms I've heard work as well...

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks, Nate

I've done both types of conversions to my GS 1000 STs
    The easiest one for sure is the GS 1100 swingarm that bolts straight in with no modification.
    This swingarm will let you install any GSXR wheel you want as the spindle diameter is identical.
    You will however have to relocate the caliper bracket and use an offset sprocket
    Here's a description on my 1100 Kat that uses the same swingarm:

The second conversion is with a GSXR 1100 K swingarm.
    That's much more difficult as the swingarm has to be machined to fit in the GS 1000 frame. Here's more info: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170151
    Having said this the major issue with the GS 1000s is the front fork not the swingarm
    What has worked best for me is the GSXR 1100 G/H or the Bandit 1200 fork.
    Here's the result ( so far...)
    Last edited by John Kat; 07-20-2013, 04:36 AM.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

With the amount of power these bikes have in standard form I wouldn't worry about a wider tyre. They handle and go fairly well and for the average rider are actually a pretty good fit.

I'd highly recommend new fork springs, seals and oils and also new rear springs suited to your weight. Tyres I recommend are Bridgestone BT-45's as they are available in the right sizes, provide good grip and feedback, good mileage and are reasonably priced.

If you do all that you'll save over a swingarm conversion and still have a bike that handles quite well.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

I wouldn't mess with chassis mods until you tried these things...

Quality tires: Avon Roadriders, Pirelli Sport Demon
        Fork springs: Progressive Suspension, Sonic
        Rear shocks: Ikon, Progressive Suspension, Hagon
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys, John Kat, your bike looks sweet!! Are those new forks as well?

I do like the sound of doing without chassis mods, did you guys look at the ad at all to see that he had some after market ones on there already? I'm 6'3", 200 lbs.

Comment

At boingk, what do you mean by, with the power in standard form? Does that suggest they're considerably slower than most modern bikes that would have a wide tire? How much more power should I expect out of a 1000 in comparison to the 650 I've been on? I'd think quite a bit, specs say it another 20-25 horsepower plus the added torque.

Comment

At boingk, what do you mean by, with the power in standard form? Does that suggest they're considerably slower than most modern bikes that would have a wide tire? How much more power should I expect out of a 1000 in comparison to the 650 I've been on? I'd think quite a bit, specs say it another 20-25 horsepower plus the added torque.

Are the 1000 tires wider than the 650's stock?

The springs on the 1000 i'm picking up are Koni, are they solid?

Comment

@John Kat, where did you find your rear sets, and what should I expect to pay for them?

Comment

Luv the stance of that thing, so early gsxr front end? I assume those are 18's front and rear?

Comment

Originally posted by NateTheNewb View Post

Are the 1000 tires wider than the 650's stock?

The springs on the 1000 i'm picking up are Koni, are they solid?
                    A GS 1000 has less power than any modern 600

Your problem is suspension, not tires. The 1000 has some sort of aftermarket shocks on it, they may not be set up for your weight

The 660 and the 1000 (an L by the way) have similar sized tires. My guess (by the hacked up look of the 1000, he's got the handlebars on upside down) he's put bigger tires on it, which will make it handle worse
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

What makes big tires handle worse in this case, it seems like it would be an improvement. Even though the style he's going for is questionable, I get the impression he's a meticulous mechanic and that the engine would be a strong runner. He says piston are 164 psi all the way across, carbs have been rejetted, and the front fork seals are good. Could the aftermarket rears that he has, Koni's, be made stiff for someone my size? 6'3"?

That surprises that even newer 600's, R6's and what not, would be faster than a 1000 of an older model.

Comment

Also, I've seen that a lot of people hate on the L model from 79, which you say this is. Why is that, and is there much "L" left on this bike the way he has it?

Comment

What makes big tires handle worse in this case, it seems like it would be an improvement. Even though the style he's going for is questionable, I get the impression he's a meticulous mechanic and that the engine would be a strong runner. He says piston are 164 psi all the way across, carbs have been rejetted, and the front fork seals are good. Could the aftermarket rears that he has, Koni's, be made stiff for someone my size? 6'3"?

That surprises that even newer 600's, R6's and what not, would be faster than a 1000 of an older model.
                          just a few points

1 yes the GS1000 has plenty more grunt than a 1981 GS650

2 until you try the konis you will not know if they are setup for someone your weight if they are not its just a matter of changing springs
                          its generally accepted that konis were superior to std shocks back in 1980

another poster mentioned using Ikon shocks these are just koni after they sold the manufactering right to a guy 2 hours from where i am in albury australia he changed the name by shifting the last letter to be the 1st letter koni = ikon he can supply springs etc

http://www.ikonsuspension.com/#

3 different wheels in my opinion will help with handling the L appears to be fitted with the std 17inch skinny rim suzuki supplied these were not good even back in 1980 theres a reason the S models were fitted with 18inch rims
                          in racing the high profile 17inch tyres had to much sidewall flex

plus the skinny tyres back then we could only get 1500 to 2000 mile from them the wider tyres last much better

ozman
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2013, 02:48 AM. Reason: info

Comment

Thanks for the info, is the consensus that this is a good buy?

Does anyone else have reason to believe that the L has any significant differnce from the rest of the models that a little customization coudn't fix, the engines are no different, right? I'll have little left stock on the bike when I'm done. I'll get a 4 into 1, any recommendations? The bike will really have a pretty stripped down brat/cafe look like I did with my 650. How do you post pics on here? I recognze plenty of you guys who helped me with that first bike, I"ve been meaning to throw photos up.

I'd think the Koni's could be adjusted for a person of any size, are they comparable to the Progressives and Hagons that I often hear about on here?

Good to know it has significantly more grunt! can it scare me?

Comment

Thanks for the info, is the consensus that this is a good buy?

Does anyone else have reason to believe that the L has any significant differnce from the rest of the models that a little customization coudn't fix, the engines are no different, right? I'll have little left stock on the bike when I'm done. I'll get a 4 into 1, any recommendations? The bike will really have a pretty stripped down brat/cafe look like I did with my 650. How do you post pics on here? I recognze plenty of you guys who helped me with that first bike, I"ve been meaning to throw photos up.

I'd think the Koni's could be adjusted for a person of any size, are they comparable to the Progressives and Hagons that I often hear about on here?

Good to know it has significantly more grunt! can it scare me?
                              engines the same as the other chain drives
                              standard suspension was softer probly why the PO has fitted the konis
                              change the fork springs to progressive
                              theres a limit to how far any spring can be adjusted eg softest springs will not have enogh adjustment for the heaviest of riders and visa-versa
                              only had 2 sets of hagons personally i think they are cheap junk thats just my opinion though i gave the last set away free

pipes i like these and price isnt bad he does a few different styles to

MOTOGPWORKS

can it scare you ?...................fear keeps us alive

Comment

Working...
                              X