No air in my forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No air in my forks

Ok guys I've never dealt with adding air to the forks. Here is my problem. I checked the air in my forks and there was none . I added air, it would stay for about 10 seconds and gone again. Anybody know why? If I need to rebuild them the im gonna go with progressive springs and ditch the air, but id like to wait until winter .

Never mind I'm a dummy. I forgot to open the valves lol.

Comment

go with progressive forks ,,ditch the air in forks,,,

Originally posted by m.qualls89 View Post
      Ok guys I've never dealt with adding air to the forks. Here is my problem. I checked the air in my forks and there was none . I added air, it would stay for about 10 seconds and gone again. Anybody know why? If I need to rebuild them the im gonna go with progressive springs and ditch the air, but id like to wait until winter .
      ,,, hi guys a while ago i had a similar problem so i purchased off a fellow gs member a brand new set of progressive springs ,,, so i also put new seals and at the same time flushed out both forks now i,ve got a great front end ,,, well worth doing and not expensive regards oldgrumpy

Comment

About how much will rebuilding them with progressive springs cost?

Comment

Progressive Springs can be had for about $75 from some vendors.

Sonic springs can be had for just a few dollars more.

Some riders prefer the straight-rate Sonics over the Progressives, your opinion may vary.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have one leaking seal. So, I will be doing exactly the same thing soon. I am running about16# of air in the leg that is still sealing. Ok, for now. Need to upgrade to progressives though! I have to search for the threads about how to disassemble the lower leg from the tube. I heard something about making a long tool to hold a nut or something.

Comment

I just installed the Sonic springs 0.95 kg/mm rate in the 1100 forks I have on my 750, went with a 20w fork oil and all is happy. Don't need no stinking air now lol.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
              X