Popping fork seals out with air pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping fork seals out with air pressure

I have to replace my 1100GK's fork seals.

I saw, on Bass Cliff's page, how he popped his out using about 200psi of air pressure. Anyone else use this method successfully?

Just like him, I have found the bottom bolts to always be really, really tight if the seals have not beeen previously changed. I think I used a piece of pipe on a breaker bar to loosen the ones on my Yam XS750.

So, his method eliminates the need to loosen that bad boy!
    This work for anyone else, before I give it a shot?

I tried Cliffs method, couldn't get 'em out no matter how hard I pumped. So I sprayed them with PB Blaster, heated the area around the seals with a heat gun and after about 5 pumps they popped right out

Comment

Cool! Very good addendum to BassCliff's write up. Will us some PB Blaster on it too.

Comment

Make sure that nothing important is at the top of the fork tube when you do this.

If it releases evenly, a seal driven upward by 100 psi of air can be painful (or worse).

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My brother got his out that way. He used one of those little 12 volt compressors. His real compressor doesn't go high enough.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

My forks had one aftermarket seal and one OEM seal. The aftermarket one popped right out with little effort. The OEM one did not budge with ANY amount of air pressure. I had to pry it out with a big old screwdriver. (NOT recommended by the way as it's way too easy to scratch the seal seat. They actually have a seal puller tool if you have to go this route.)

Hadn't thought of using heat, I'll have to give that a try next time.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

^^ Next time I would screw in big wood screw (or two) and pull it out instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                ^^ Next time I would screw in big wood screw (or two) and pull it out instead.
                I tried that on mine and it left scratches on the fork tube where the screw threads ran into it. (It also did not pull the seal.)
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Wood dowels or the plastic grip of a screw driver to pry with. No damage.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Why cant u get the bottom allen bolt out to pull the forks apart? A 6mm allen key extension with a rattle gun will suffice. Just tap that allen key in with a hammer first to shock the bolt loose. At least this way u can pull the forks apart for cleaning and examine the bushes wear. Or make up a T-bar that holds the damper rod. If i recall it has a 17mm nut welded on the end

Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

if you havent got an air gun, hold the fork leg upside down, resting on a block of wood. use an allen key socket on a impact driver and whack it a few times. it will come loose
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                      X