X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Air Equalizing Tube-Air Joints

Howdie Folks;
    Re: '83 GS850G
    Air Equalizing Tube and (2)Air Joints just below the tree.

I'm about to remove my front forks.
    From manuals and posts, it looks like there's only a pair of "O" rings at each of the "Air Joints", which fit around the fork tubes. I don't see any securing bolts in my case.

Has anyone had any experience with this air joint, and what I might encounter ?
    Will the shock tube slip right through it when I pull down on the shock ?

Thanks for any tips !!

I was just fiddling with a pair of 85 700 forks and the air joint moves easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Hone101 View Post
      I was just fiddling with a pair of 85 700 forks and the air joint moves easily.

Thanks Hone
      I'm lookin forward to not have too many surprises (if ya know what I mean )

Comment

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Loose the air set up, seal the holes and purchase some Sonic fork springs and new fork oil. No need for the air in the forks then.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
            Hello Londonboards;

MAN ! That was a great pic-tutorial. Well, cleared up any "unknown" concerns I had on this topic. Thanks

Great project. How's it coming along ?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              Loose the air set up, seal the holes and purchase some Sonic fork springs and new fork oil. No need for the air in the forks then.
              Mrbill;
              I might just do that. Had progressive springs installed several years ago, and I never put air in since. But I like having the option available.
              Any recommendations on sealing the hole ?
              Should I tap it and fit a screw?

Thanks for the advise.

Comment

Originally posted by sebby110 View Post
                Mrbill;
                I might just do that. Had progressive springs installed several years ago, and I never put air in since. But I like having the option available.
                Any recommendations on sealing the hole ?
                Should I tap it and fit a screw?

Thanks for the advise.
                I just used some JBs weld and sanded it smooth, can barely tell its even there.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

update!
                  I've soaked the air clamps in liquid wrench for a could of days.
                  But getting the air clamps to slide up off the shocks is proving to be a real biatch!
                  The headlight bracket is right above them, limiting movement, so I've been using a flathead screw driver to wiggle it up the shock (progress is in millimeters !!) It's moving, allowing the shock to slide down, BUT progress is painfully SLOW !!

On a sadder note...while removing the tire, I busted one of the studs at the bottom of the right shock. Are the studs removeable/replaceable ?

Thanks for everyone's help !

Comment

Update!

Job Completed! Everything cleaned up, new oil, new seals, new stud.
                    Back on the bike, and tested ! A OK Feels great too.

The allen bolts at the bottom of the fork tubes was a biatch, despite heat. Ultimately, I had to take it to a shop to remove them, and even they had a hell of a time getting it off.

Tubes slid back on relatively easily. I though I was going to have a terrible time getting the "air-clamps" to slide back on. But, with a bit of cleaning and grease, they went back on with minimal resistance.

Thanks Folks !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X