dual disk upgrade '78 gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual disk upgrade '78 gs750

Ok I found a few threads on the subject but I am hopping someone has a bolt on answer for me. I have the spoked wheels and as I understand if I take the plastic cover of the right side I will have a place to bolt on another disk. But dual disk bikes use smaller disks so I need 2 new rotors and new fork bottoms at least. Is there a more modern (forks still up side right) bolt on front end from say an 80's Katana or GSXR? I am about to start working on suspension and braking and would like some "trick" ideas. I would also be interested in progressive spring options...

I'm not positive of your model and don't feel up to looking this morning but the PO put forks from a 79 750E on my bike giving it dual brakes. I then put Salty Monk's twinpot upgrade on it using two front GS550 brakes
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You should be able to slide the 35mm forks from a later model into your triple trees & then use either the later Suzuki brakes or the Kawasaki twinpot mod using either you original disk (with a second one the same for the other side) or a set of Honda CBR rotors.
      To use the Twinpots you need a caliper bracket & spacer. To use the CBR rotors you need a spacer / drilling template combination.
      I don't currently have any but demand seems to be picking up again so I guess I'll get some more cut....

If you are willing to mess about with steerer stops, ignition etc then you can bolt on pretty much anything from a later Suzuki. You may have to upgrade to tapered bearings as stock yours will be ball roller style I believe.
      You may find the 37mm front end from a GS1000 or GS1100 is an easy swap.
      Anything later (newer) than this will likely be more work & shorter so you have to consider clearance issues. Also you will likely have some speedo issues to deal with as well as the steerer stops & ignition.

For just about the ultimate in suspension technology (without going to a modern cartridge fork) the best you can do is a correctly weighted straight rate spring from Sonic springs & a racetech Emulator.
      A progressive spring or just a correct rated Sonic straight rate is a decent upgrade by itself but the emulator makes a big difference.

Last edited by salty_monk; 10-16-2013, 06:55 AM.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I am looking at this 83 GS850 roller.

Wondering if the front end and rear mag will can be used on my 78 GS750?

It's a shaft drive, can I just swap the drive for a sprocket?

Thanks, kris

Comment

NO you can't swap on a sprocket

Comment

35 mm fork front end

I have a front end from a GS 650, dual discs, calipers, tubeless front wheel that I was planning on swapping onto my 1978 GS 750, then decided on going with a GS 1000 and a GSXR 1100 front end, wheels and brakes. If you're interested, make me an offer; I no longer have my 750, and I was going to give it to the friend I sold the bike to, but he didn't want to put the work into doing the conversion, and I wasn't about to do the job for him if he didn't want to put the effort into it. If you're interested, PM me and we'll work something out.
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

This bike is starting to cost a fair chunk... I think I'm going to stick with single disk and spoked wheels for now. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X