Rebuild rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild rear shocks

Is it possible or worthwhile to rebuild the original rear shocks? The rear shocks that I have are leaking oil.

No, they're not rebuildable

No, it's not worthwhile, better shocks are available
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

This is where I got a set of Hagons for the GK. Nice folks.

This website is for sale! davequinnmotorcycles.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, davequinnmotorcycles.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thank you for the info and thank you for the link Larry.

Comment

If I may thread hijack a bit, can anyone share their thoughts about the quality of these rear shocks?

Japanese Cafe Classic Motorcycle Rear Shocks Eye To Clevis 340mm Black/Chrome

Or what else is recommended for street riding? My gs750b will probably never see a track day so I just want something safe and reliable to replace the original rear shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by craftsman View Post
            If I may thread hijack a bit, can anyone share their thoughts about the quality of these rear shocks?

Japanese Cafe Classic Motorcycle Rear Shocks Eye To Clevis 340mm Black/Chrome

Or what else is recommended for street riding? My gs750b will probably never see a track day so I just want something safe and reliable to replace the original rear shocks.

Those are the same El Cheapo shocks sold under many different brands -- MDI, Emgo, etc. and so on.

They're actually not horrible, but the springs are EXTREMELY stiff if you don't weigh at least 300 pounds or so. And the bushings that come with them are plastic garbage, so you'll want to put in some real bushings.

You can get these at least $20 cheaper, too.

The Hagons Larry mentioned are pretty much the best bang for the buck by far -- excellent quality and performance, about $200 a set.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              They're actually not horrible, but the springs are EXTREMELY stiff if you don't weigh at least 300 pounds or so. And the bushings that come with them are plastic garbage, so you'll want to put in some real bushings.
              Also, overdamped. Don't waste money on them unless you're in some kind of emergency situation where you absolutely must be able to ride your 30-year old bike. In other words, don't buy them. That said, I'd been on mine for over a year. Very harsh.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Y.S.S. works for me: http://www.yssusa.com/series-eco.html

E-302 Twin — Gas Shock Absorber

Price: $299.00 per Pair
                Available Lengths: 280 mm, 300 mm, 310 mm, 320 mm, 330 mm, 340 mm, 350 mm, 360 mm
                Type: Self Adjusting Gas Emulsion Shock
                Features: Pre-Load Adjustment — Fork Fittings for Honda, Suzuki and all Scooters — Eyelets and Springrates Model specific or customised —
                Application: ON and OFFROAD — for MOTORBIKES and SCOOTERS
                Last edited by gsgeezer; 11-08-2013, 04:08 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                X