Is a 120 ok replacement for a 110?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a 120 ok replacement for a 110?

First off, a thank you to the GS forums for possibly saving my arse. I was reading a thread on tires the other day and noticed a reference to a DOY date code. Hmm, that's interesting I thought. I wonder how old my tires are. Now, the tires I have look hardly used when I got the bike so I didn't think anything about it. But, after reading that thread, I went looking for the date code and lo and behold but what did it say? The front was 250 and the rear was a 146! Yikes. If understand this correctly, I have a 13yr old front and a 7yr old rear!

Needless to say, I'm glad I checked before riding anymore on these very old tires.

So on to my question. I was going to order some Shinko 230 Tour Masters as I don't put that many miles on the 550 Kat and the pricing is great on these tires. But, I can't find a 110/90-18. They do make a 120/90-18 though. Would this be an ok replacement tire? The service manual calls for a 3.75H18 4PR. I'm looking for a budget tire that has good dry cornering performance. Not too concerned about miles.

Thanks for the input and any suggestions.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Tire date codes

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
    First off, a thank you to the GS forums for possibly saving my arse. I was reading a thread on tires the other day and noticed a reference to a DOY date code. Hmm, that's interesting I thought. I wonder how old my tires are. Now, the tires I have look hardly used when I got the bike so I didn't think anything about it. But, after reading that thread, I went looking for the date code and lo and behold but what did it say? The front was 250 and the rear was a 146! Yikes. If understand this correctly, I have a 13yr old front and a 7yr old rear!

Needless to say, I'm glad I checked before riding anymore on these very old tires.

So on to my question. I was going to order some Shinko 230 Tour Masters as I don't put that many miles on the 550 Kat and the pricing is great on these tires. But, I can't find a 110/90-18. They do make a 120/90-18 though. Would this be an ok replacement tire? The service manual calls for a 3.75H18 4PR. I'm looking for a budget tire that has good dry cornering performance. Not too concerned about miles.

Thanks for the input and any suggestions.
    Just to confirm the age of your current tires, the front is minimum 13 years old and the rear is minimum 17 years old.
    The 4 digit dates codes were introduced in 2000, if it was the start of 2000 then your front tire is week 25, of 1990 so 23 years old.

No comment on the Shinko's but have purchased Avon Road Riders for both of my GS's and like them a lot. Approx. $200 for a set.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Hmm, I took a closer look after reading your post. I should of had my glasses on the first time haha. The front is 4006 and the rear is 2509. So 7yrs and 4yrs.

What's the recommended replacement age btw?

Oh, and still looking to know if I can fit a 120 on the rear instead of a 110.

Thanks.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

What's the recommended replacement age btw?

Oh, and still looking to know if I can fit a 120 on the rear instead of a 110.
        How much do you know about the history of the tires? If you know the history, and are comfortable that the tires have been properly cared for, 7 years is starting to push the limit, but the 4 is still OK.

What is the width of the rim on which you are wanting to mount the 120? Look at the manufacturer's site to see if they have a recommended rim width for that size tire and compare that to what is on your bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd say putting a 120 on the back is really pushing it. For my daughter's GS450E, I purchased a 100/90-18 up front and a 110/90-18 for the rear.

I bought Shinko 712 tires. I have them on my 650E, and like them tremendously. You can get a set of them from bikebandit for about $100.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

A 120 is pushing it but acceptable. I'm using one on the same size wheel on my 1000S.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have no idea of the history. They were on the bike when I bought it. The front is showing some slight cracking on the sidewalls. For sure I am going to replace it.

The front is a Pirelli Sport Demon on a 3.25 rim and the rear is a Shinko 712R. The rear rim is a 3.75. I don't have any information on what the 1982 550M came with from the factory.

I want sticky rubber as I like to lean with this little bike. Lot's of fun but I would not ride it for long distances. I'm looking for recommendations. My budget is $150ish for both that's why i was thinking the Shinko 230's but there's just no 110 rear.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I have no idea of the history. They were on the bike when I bought it. The front is showing some slight cracking on the sidewalls. For sure I am going to replace it.

The front is a Pirelli Sport Demon on a 3.25 rim and the rear is a Shinko 712R. The rear rim is a 3.75. I don't have any information on what the 1982 550M came with from the factory.

I want sticky rubber as I like to lean with this little bike. Lot's of fun but I would not ride it for long distances. I'm looking for recommendations. My budget is $150ish for both that's why i was thinking the Shinko 230's but there's just no 110 rear.
                The stock Suzuki wheels are 1.85" front and 2.15" rear. You sure those are the wheel sizes or the tire sizes?
                Last edited by Nessism; 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

Sorry, the manual states tire size. My mistake.
                  1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I have a 110/90/18 Shinko 230 on the front of my bike on a 2.50x18 rim, and they are fairly readily available in that size so you should be able to find one easily. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com or http://www.chaparral-racing.com had the best prices and free shipping if I remember correctly.

I should point out that I said 2.50 rim for a 110/90. That is Shinko's recommended rim size for a 110. 2.15-2.75 rim for this tire, 2.50 being ideal. I'm pretty sure if you find that chart that I dug up on their tire specs, the 120 is going to need a minimum 2.50-3.00 rim with 2.75 being the best fit for tire tread profile and wrap. So basically on a 2.15 rim, a 110 is the biggest you can run without having unwanted sidewall flex from the tire being pinched inwards in the middle tighter than it was designed for. You can pull off a 120, it will "fit," but the results under "spirited" cornering will be less than desireable. The tire will flex and squirm and distort. Half the reason I have a motorcycle is because I love to push it hard through turns with a good lean and a spirited pace. Detracting from the cornering ability really is dangerous.
                    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Check Avon Motorcycle Tyres website under the GS1000S and they recommend a 120/90-18 tire on the 2.15" wheel. For the GS550, using the same size wheel, they recommend a 4.00" x 18 tire.

Standard GSR forum wisdom for GS's with a 2.5" wide wheel is to use a 130 tire. Lots of guys using this size even though most tire charts will tell you the rim is too narrow.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Thanks guys. Very Interesting. I have both for and against now. Decisions, decisions. I think I will just have to try a 120 sometime and see how it feels on my bike.

I think I found a solution however. I think I'm gonna go with Bridgestone Spitfires as they have a 110/90-18. They will cost me around $190 shipped. It's well over my budget but I think i can scrounge up the difference. Tires are important and I want to feel confident leaning hard in a corner.

My bike runs tubes. How hard is it to change your own tires and tubes? How many spoons does you guys use and do you recommend any brand over another?
                        Last edited by Sci85; 11-10-2013, 01:23 AM.
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Thanks guys. Very Interesting. I have both for and against now. Decisions, decisions. I think I will just have to try a 120 sometime and see how it feels on my bike.

I think I found a solution however. I think I'm gonna go with Bridgestone Spitfires as they have a 110/90-18. They will cost me around $190 shipped. It's well over my budget but I think i can scrounge up the difference. Tires are important and I want to feel confident leaning hard in a corner.

My bike runs tubes. How hard is it to change your own tires and tubes? How many spoons does you guys use and do you recommend any brand over another?
                          I bought a set of Bridgestone Spitfires once. Never again.

They were ok when new, but within 2,000 miles were the evilest handling things imaginable. They made my 1000G nearly impossible to ride in the twisties, because they wouldn't predictably grip through curves.

If you're on a budget, buy some Shinko 712 or 230 tires. They're a lot less money than what you've stated for the Bridgestones, and they're much better tires. Right now you can get a set of them for your bike from Bikebandit for about $110.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I would go with the Shinko 712 set - front 100/90-19 and rear 110/90-18 from BikeBandit total shipped to your door for $104 as someone already suggested. They work fine on corners, wet, gravel and will last you at least 8-10k miles. I've used the Spitfires on my old 1000G without issue but they are NOT a better tire, just a lot more $ IMO.
                            You should consider going tubeless since most first timers will probably pinch and ruin at least one tube. Pain in the butt doing the job twice after mounting and test riding to find out about the air leak from the small tear when pinched. You will have to buy some tubeless valve stems to insert but they work fine. I've gone tubeless on early 450E, 750E, 850G and 1000G rims that are not marked tubeless with no issues. Be sure and clean rim with a 3M green scrubbie thoroughly. Your call.
                            I use this set of tire irons below that I got free with a set of tires ordered a few years ago when MotorcycleSuperstore had a promo. I really only use two (11" and 16") irons but nice to have a 3rd just in case. Order the tubeless valve stems when you get set of tires to save shipping cost. I use a plastic milk jug cut in 3 flat ovals about 4"x2" to use as rim protectors. I use an empty clean 5 gallon drywall bucket as my tire mounting table as the brake disc will fit right in. Oh and I use a quarter cup of Murphy's oil soap with about the same amount of warm water as my bead lubricant. That is the key to easier dismount/mount of tires and seating the bead. Don't, don't , DO NOT skimp on the lubricant unless you want to waste lots of effort. Tires will also be much easier to work with inside a warm place(keep them inside above 60F before working with for at least 2 hours)rather than the cold garage because that little bit of extra pliability is a grunt saver too!!

You may want to find a fellow forum member locally to guide you if this is your first set of tires.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

My 1972 CT90 has the original Yokohamas & I'm pretty sure it is the original air.

I have lots of old bikes that have old tires on them. Would I take them on a 300 mile trip? No, but would I ride them 20 miles a few times a year? Sure.

Certainly I push the limits, but I do not think there is a set time limit. Lots of factors involved. Sun and exposure to chemicals are the two factors that matter most.

Comment

Working...
                              X