Is a 120 ok replacement for a 110?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCQTT View Post
    My 1972 CT90 has the original Yokohamas & I'm pretty sure it is the original air.

I have lots of old bikes that have old tires on them. Would I take them on a 300 mile trip? No, but would I ride them 20 miles a few times a year? Sure.

Certainly I push the limits, but I do not think there is a set time limit. Lots of factors involved. Sun and exposure to chemicals are the two factors that matter most.
    Oh no. I think it's safe to say that 10+ year old tires have been exposed to enough sun and chemicals along with drying and hardening to be motivated to swap them out. Sure, I've ridden some old tires after visually inspecting them for the short term, but for $100 and 2 hours of time you can get an updated tread design, better sidewall construction and fresh pliable rubber with grip along with cleaning up the rims, to not do it. I won't scare people into changing their tires but I wouldn't tell them that's it's ok to put too many miles on 10,20, or 30 yr old tires. If it's a garage relic then fine but you know you want to push the corners and top end so.....

Comment

I ended up just getting a shinko 712 for the front to match the 712 on the back. The back is only 4yrs old and doesn't have the cracking that the front did. I plan on putting in the tube. Changed plenty before on my dirt bikes so I figure the street bike is probably about the same with just more effort? We will see

I use an empty clean 5 gallon drywall bucket as my tire mounting table as the brake disc will fit right in
      Thanks for the bucket idea. I hadn't thought of that one.

If it's a garage relic then fine but you know you want to push the corners and top end so.....
      Don't you know it!

And thanks for the feedback Griffin. Nixed the Bridgestone's.
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by SCQTT View Post
        My 1972 CT90 has the original Yokohamas & I'm pretty sure it is the original air.

I have lots of old bikes that have old tires on them. Would I take them on a 300 mile trip? No, but would I ride them 20 miles a few times a year? Sure.

Certainly I push the limits, but I do not think there is a set time limit. Lots of factors involved. Sun and exposure to chemicals are the two factors that matter most.
        Yes, there is a time limit

Tires start off gassing the moment they pop out of the mold

What they give off is the compounds that keep the tire soft and pliable, so over time the tire is bad regardless of any sun or othere exposure

Old tires become hard, you should start changing yours out before you crash
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have crashed a bunch, but it has never been a tire issue. More like an issue of running out of talent and trail/road/track at the same time.

I understand tires start blooming as soon as they are made.

Comment

My 2¢

My son put over 7000 miles on a set of Spitfires on his CX500 Custom in 2012. He never had any slipping problems of any kind and they looked pretty good still when he sold that bike. I did train him to be a stickler about tire pressures and checking them everytime before he goes out for a ride.

I had the Shinko Tourmaster 230s on the GS650 I sold in spring.
            Although I only put on a few hundred miles before I sold the bike. I really liked the tires.

The Shinko are so cheap you could change them every year even if they arn't used up...
            Currently in the Stable :
            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
            X