No announcement yet.

attn: Bandit rear swap experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i will be retaining the stock pegs set up. I was thinking i had to go to a 170 tire. the thought of the chain being so close to the tire...... 170/60 i presume.??
    Does your wheel sit centered in the swingarm, or centered in the bike???My shocks line up with the swingarm but it seems the tire is off to the right...

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
      Was the longer shock length a recommendation or your preference?

Nic
      Now just retreading your post above. It has been a while but I'm pretty sure that rob placed the shock mounts on the weld to maintain the swing arm geometry assuming a 13" shock. Intact he assumed an Ohlins shock as I recall discussions about putting one shock slightly more outboard . Probably for chain clearance.
      i don't remember and discussion of setting the mount to achieve a specific trail setting which is obviously fork specific. In fact when I first got the swing arm I did not have the su-145s ; I had the standardOhlins .
      Bottom line you can change handling by raising rear ride height. Doing that with shocks is expensive. If you know what your objectives are re:trail and tv rest of your bikes configuration ( wheels , forks, triple.... Etc) then set the swing arm mounts appropriately.
      A the time I did not ant to go though the detail and trial and error so I just bought the swinger from rob. This area is obviously something that can have a big impact if done properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario View Post
        i will be retaining the stock pegs set up. I was thinking i had to go to a 170 tire. the thought of the chain being so close to the tire...... 170/60 i presume.??
        Does your wheel sit centered in the swingarm, or centered in the bike???My shocks line up with the swingarm but it seems the tire is off to the right...
        As per conventional wisdom, wheels are on the centerline of the bike. The bandit swingarm is not symmetrical and has about 3/16" offset. You will have to accommodate that and shift the swingarm further over if you want to retain the stock brake master.
        if you look at my build (start at the beginning) you will see what I had to do).

Remember i have 18 wheels not 17, (a choice I made at the onset to make things less difficult) so my wheel spacers will be diff to a 17 conversion. But the swingarm to frame clearance to allow for the brake rod will be the se.

Sorry looks like some of the pictures are missing and need resetting........maybe later.
        Last edited by posplayr; 09-01-2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I'm run in a 180 rear tire using the stock swing arm modified for an underslung bandit caliper. Also offset 520 chain and sprockets.
          have approximately 2mm of clearance from the tire.

Nic
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
            I'm run in a 180 rear tire using the stock swing arm modified for an underslung bandit caliper. Also offset 520 chain and sprockets.
            have approximately 2mm of clearance from the tire.

Nic
            For comparison, using 530 chain and 18x4.5" wheel with 170/60-18 tire I have closer to 5mm on each side.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
              I went to a local machine shop with some measurements & he fabbed these up for $20.00. Been working great for the last 3 years. I need better shocks though, lol.
              What size tire?

Comment

I will measure mine and get back

Comment

You will need the proper rear wheel spacers, reducer bushings at the swing-arm pivot as well as proper mounting on the top shock slide to line it all up properly.

Comment

Here it is together

Comment

Thanks for reply but the pictures did not come up

Comment

I did buy the spacer kit from katman. the shock mounts i had made up. right now it seems my offset sprocket is off my a couple MM's. I am having the shock tabs welded this week so I can get this thing on the ground and check for wheel center front to back. Still thinking that a 170 tire is the only way to go for piece of mind. OR, do i just let the chain take off the side of the tire as needed while riding? I will also plan on bracing the frame at the rear as described on katmans site. Shocks have still yet to be purchased. I want the Ohlins because I want ohlins, and the other quality shocks out there are either more expensive or not as nice. After i get all this done, THEN i can concentrate on the rear brake master. I am thinking about going with a rea master from a Ducati 749/848. It is very compact and has a reverse action pedal. kinda trick.

Comment

I did buy the spacer kit from katman. the shock mounts i had made up. right now it seems my offset sprocket is off my a couple MM's. I am having the shock tabs welded this week so I can get this thing on the ground and check for wheel center front to back. Still thinking that a 170 tire is the only way to go for piece of mind. OR, do i just let the chain take off the side of the tire as needed while riding? I will also plan on bracing the frame at the rear as described on katmans site. Shocks have still yet to be purchased. I want the Ohlins because I want ohlins, and the other quality shocks out there are either more expensive or not as nice. After i get all this done, THEN i can concentrate on the rear brake master. I am thinking about going with a rea master from a Ducati 749/848. It is very compact and has a reverse action pedal. kinda trick.
                          remember the mount on the chain side needs to be out just a bit for the Ohlins shock spring to clear the chain

Comment

remember the mount on the chain side needs to be out just a bit for the Ohlins shock spring to clear the chain

With all the variations, I would install the arm without shock mounts, get the wheels centered and then look at where the rear mounts need to be to get the proper ride height and clearance.

Last edited by posplayr; 09-08-2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

What size is that tire? What size is that chain.?

Comment

What size is that tire? What size is that chain.?
                                It is Joe's bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X