No announcement yet.

weight loads for our smaller twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a chance to get a free 550 (L) with title so I was wondering about the max GVW.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by greasyjonny View Post
      I'll probably go the route of Hagons from Dave Quinn since they will match the spring to all those factors.
      He old me some hard as a rock, and was of no help in getting the right ones. That's what I'm trying to help you avoid.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        He old me some hard as a rock, and was of no help in getting the right ones. That's what I'm trying to help you avoid.
        yeah i keep hearing mixed results with him. so knowing that i need stiffer than stock shocks where do i proceed to from there? does anyone have a calculator like sonic springs does for the front spring, but for the rear spring?

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
          I have a chance to get a free 550 (L) with title so I was wondering about the max GVW.
          It should be fine for two large people or one huge person with a bunch of gear piled on.

Comment

also if Dave Quinn is difficult to deal with, any input on how good YSS is at matching a spring or at least making it right if they mess it up?

Comment

Or just get your Hagons from Z1 now
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Or just get your Hagons from Z1 now
                unless he has more in stock than whats listed on the site, he doesnt carry the Hagons for this bike.

Comment

Greasy, give them a call and let Jeff, Rob, or Chris help you out as they are an authorized dealer for them now
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Greasy, give them a call and let Jeff, Rob, or Chris help you out as they are an authorized dealer for them now
                    Will definitely be doing that soon. Thanks!

Comment

I heard as a general rule of thumb that GVW is usually twice the weight of the motorcycle.

Comment

when you go to their site and type in your bike, you get a screen with all the available products they sell for it. the 12 and 14 series shocks have standard springs and HD springs available for it. that "near or at max rate 50% of the time" thing was just a bit of info they put at the bottom of the screen to aid in your selection. normally HD is a no brainer but i believe in this case it would equal a stiffer spring which my be what i need or may not im not sure.
                        ....actually, I was saying you probably don't need the HD springs. What you call "just a bit of info" would seem to be pretty important information to me.
                        ....But doing more research is always good. You can just make clips from bits of hose to put on your shocks (front and back) to mark the maximum the shocks go down on a ride around the local roads If they are hitting bottom or nearly, then HD might be in order. OR if you want your bike to feel like a hardtail.Otherwise, it's premature to buy stuff until you are sure what you need, because suspension is pretty important.
                        In fact, you may not need springs at all- just the shocks, if you can fit your originals onto the new shock. They do come apart.
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-07-2014, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          ....actually, I was saying you probably don't need the HD springs. What you call "just a bit of info" would seem to be pretty important information to me.
                          ....But doing more research is always good. You can just make clips from bits of hose to put on your shocks (front and back) to mark the maximum the shocks go down on a ride around the local roads If they are hitting bottom or nearly, then HD might be in order. OR if you want your bike to feel like a hardtail.Otherwise, it's premature to buy stuff until you are sure what you need, because suspension is pretty important.
                          In fact, you may not need springs at all- just the shocks, if you can fit your originals onto the new shock. They do come apart.
                          oh yes i am fully aware that suspension is very important, thats why im spending time trying to figure out what exactly is needed. and as far as my "just a bit of info" comment, you were under the impression that proggressive was steering me away from HD, that was my way of explaining that i wasnt in contact with progressive and they were not steering me away from HD, just that it was information posted on the parts list.

I assume i need stiffer than stock springs as my lighter and more experienced buddy described the suspension as very squishy.
                          But are the regular springs on the aftermarket shocks the same spring rate as the OEMs?

Comment

But are the regular springs on the aftermarket shocks the same spring rate as the OEMs?
                            They are usually stiffer, but you really need to see the actual spring rate, so you can compare from one brand to another.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              They are usually stiffer, but you really need to see the actual spring rate, so you can compare from one brand to another.
                              that was my assumption. and thats kind of why i started this thread, i couldnt find any real hard info that showed people what springs/shocks they needed considering the factors. i was hoping to organize that here

Comment

Working...
                              X