Brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake lines

I keep reading about braided steel brake lines. That they perform better (don't expand) AND look better. That's a pretty convincing argument in my book.

However, my stock ones ('82 1100e) work fine and look good (the engine and headers are also black). I've only had her for 500 miles now, and that's after a 24-year hiatus, so I haven't really gotten into any situations where I needed to grab (& step on) a lot of brakes.

Should I spend my money elsewhere?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    I keep reading about braided steel brake lines. That they perform better (don't expand) AND look better. That's a pretty convincing argument in my book.

However, my stock ones ('82 1100e) work fine and look good (the engine and headers are also black). I've only had her for 500 miles now, and that's after a 24-year hiatus, so I haven't really gotten into any situations where I needed to grab (& step on) a lot of brakes.

Should I spend my money elsewhere?
    Suzuki recommends replacing the lines every two years. There must be some reason for that. Yours are probably about thirty years behind. The problem is not the brakes faiing to work, but that they can come on when you don't want them to, lock a wheel up at speed, even if you haven't touched the brakes at all. Mostly the brakes work fine with old lines. Occasionally they don't. There are several members of this forum who have been hurt from locking brakes.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sounds like you have a 83 1100e. Oh Braided steel brake lines are a must upgrade.
      81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

No, it's an '82. I'm still trying to determine if it's late '82 (welded crank) or early '82 (not welded).

Listen to me - sounding like I know what the frig I'm talking about. At least I (think I) know that welded is better than not welded.

Back to topic - Replace all brake lines every two years? That sounds drastic to me (no more drastic than the front wheel locking up at 75mph).

Braided steel lines, I assume, would not need to be replaced every two years. They come in black?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Depending on who you order them from you can get them in any color I would think. But Z1 sells them in black or silver
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Change them once do proper maintenance should be good. Oh and do not let it sit 25 years.
            81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

I am one of the few that did not notice any difference at all after installing braided steel lines. But, then again, I know how to ride and seldom use them anyway.
              If you do get the braided steel lines, be sure to get them at least the stock length (someone on this site has a red "skunk" with TIGHT lines. ) and add a small rubber spacer around the front lines where they go into the stock mounts from the forks.
              (The steel lines are skinnier than the stock rubber)
              Rennsport in Canada sells a great low cost kit that fits PERFECTLY. They will even make the lines a tad longer for no extra charge if so desired.
              On the 1100E models, there where three different height handlebars available so measure the front lines to be certain.

Comment

you can have a look here

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

'82 handlebars

GSX, Three different handlebars were offered on 1982 GS1100e's in the U.S.?

I did not know that.

Those brake lines look top-quality. How much did they cost?

Comment

If I remember correctly it was like 110 or 120 for all six lines, crush washers and banjo bolts shipped...

Comment

2 years?

And they are made to last many years?

Comment

The inner lining doesn't degrade like rubber does. They will still clog up if you don't ever change the brake fluid.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          And they are made to last many years?
                          Yes, generally speaking SS lines will last the life of the bike.

As others have mentioned, you still want to change the brake fluid every two years or so.
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Squeeze your old rubber line between your index finger and thumb, now apply your brake. Feel the line expand? Now multiply that X the length of the line?

The do not give you more power, they give you a crisper, more accurate feel.

Suspension, tires and brake lines are the best upgrades you can make to your steed.

Spiegler Performance Parts was founded on the concept of providing motorcycle enthusiasts custom motorcycle accessories and performance parts via inno

Goodridge are also very good, but their US distributor in Torrance seems a little hard to locate on the web.

I have had the best luck recently with Spiegler, they really seem to have their act together.

Comment

I noticed a much firmer lever, and better feel. I sent my originals to Galfer and they made new ones in the exact length in black. Other colors were available. Ive yet to replace the rear line
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X