SS Brake Line Kit for '79 GS 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Brake Line Kit for '79 GS 850

I'm going through the RedZook, a really nice '79 GS850G I just picked up this week. It's a one owner bike which appears, in close inspection, to have seen very light use over the past 12 years. The original owner (OO) was a stickler for stock and keeping things as they left the factory - a plus for me, but…

The brake lines carry date codes of 12/78 and 1/79. You can imagine how squishy the front brake lever is.

Anyway, I've gone online to determine the best place to get a brake line kit and it's a little mystifying. Back when I had my first GS, I could get darned near everything from Dennis Kirk - now not so much. There are parts aggregators out there (the M/C equivalent of Rock Auto), but they have no idea what they're shipping you - or that it will fit.

I've looked at the Z1 site, and I'm not all that interested in ordering 19 discrete parts. All I want are three (3) properly sized SS brake lines with the correct banjo fittings for my bike. Any suggestions?

Measure the line from the MC to the caliper, order the lines and the banjo bolts from Z1 or some of the other vendors people have stated in many other threads of the same subject, and finally assemble them when they arrive.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I tried looking up other threads. Sorry I haven't been on here for 15 years.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Measure the line from the MC to the caliper, order the lines and the banjo bolts from Z1 or some of the other vendors people have stated in many other threads of the same subject, and finally assemble them when they arrive.

Comment

Rennsport in Canada sells the best complete kits as far as I know. Their contact information should be in the welcome information that you got from basscliff.
        I believe that it is under $100.00 for your application and includes new banjo bolts and washers too. It is COMPLETE.

Comment

Here's a few of them for you:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The "correct length" also depends on which handlebars are on the bike.

The stock bars are a cruel and unusual bend that doesn't work for most people, so it's hard to say exactly how long the brake lines should be -- most aftermarket bars will be shorter, and thus the lines will end up too long.

Anyway, it's best to at least measure things yourself even if you don't build the lines.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              The "correct length" also depends on which handlebars are on the bike.

The stock bars are a cruel and unusual bend that doesn't work for most people, so it's hard to say exactly how long the brake lines should be -- most aftermarket bars will be shorter, and thus the lines will end up too long.

Anyway, it's best to at least measure things yourself even if you don't build the lines.
              I understand the need to measure; That being said, I'm looking at a bike which has zero mods other than the Bates bags and Pacifico fairings, which went on around Day One. I'm in the middle of building a custom dining room for my wife, and am willing to risk the issue of the M/C to splitter line being incorrect for the sake of ordering convenience. I don't have the time to tear down what I have - wanted parts on hand an would address issues as they came up with regard to fitment.

I'm funny that way. I need to rebuild the engine in my '59 Ford truck; would prefer to have a complete engine on hand and rebuild it so as to minimize downtime. Trust you understand.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                when I clicked on the link, it came up…Sorry. No matches. That's what happened to me when I did it the first time; widened the search and got a bazillion threads. Narrowed it and got companies out of business.

Comment

This one http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GSXR-MOTORCYC...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1 or if you want to do the rear line to http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GSXR-MOTORCYC...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1 Just be sure you add extra length or the brake line police will get on your case

Comment

A buddy of mine has these on his CB. They look amazing and appear to be top notch quality. I'm about to order some for my 1100. Brake componets arent something i would cheap out on. and ebay brakes straight up scare me.

You can buy Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines with confidence, knowing that you’ll be receiving the finest product available for your car. Visit the Essex website to get a custom brake line designed for your special project.

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedknuckles View Post
                      A buddy of mine has these on his CB. They look amazing and appear to be top notch quality. I'm about to order some for my 1100. Brake componets arent something i would cheap out on. and ebay brakes straight up scare me.

http://www.essexparts.com/shop/ss-brake-lines.html
                      Those look like excellent lines but holy moly, for the price of one of those lines you could buy three from other vendors.

The Rennsport lines on eBay are very well made and have been used by many members here including myself with not a single complaint.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I'm about to swap a gs650g front on my gs750t and needed some SS brake lines. I've tried to search the rennsport lines without any results. I get the Porsche racing guys...anyone have a link? Wish I could dish out the cash for the spieglers...

Comment

Thank you sir

Comment

no worries

Comment

Working...
                            X