spoons or straps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spoons or straps?

Tomorrow will be tire mounting day. This will be my first time. The tutorial on BassCliff's site shows a method using lash straps. Has anyone tried this? Or should I go the spoon method?
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

I tried a little of both when I did my first one. I used large zip ties along with my spoons and it was pretty easy to get it on there that way....
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Having done many tires I can offer a couple hints. First, get the tire warm if you can. This will make it more flexible and easier to mount. Second, use plenty of lube. Soapy water works as does Murphy's Oil Soap diluted with water. This will help the beads slide onto the rim. Third, and probably most important, it is absolutely necessary to keep the bead of the tire opposite of where you are using the spoons in the drop center of the wheel. If the bead is not in the drop center there is not enough room to spoon it onto the rim. I use a 2x4 square I built to rest the wheel on so the rotors won't get damaged. I kneel on the side of the tire closest to me to keep the bead in the drop center. Beside keeping the bead in the drop center I also push the tire as far toward the opposite side as possible. Don't try to take big bites with the spoons, just move over a few inches at a time. It takes patience and practice but it is not difficult once you figure it out.

Or, do what I did and buy a No-Mar changer and make life much easier...

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Cut some garden hose and lay on the rims bead as your prying then tires on and off,,,,,damage preventers.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Cut some garden hose and lay on the rims bead as your prying then tires on and off,,,,,damage preventers.
          Good point Chuck. However, garden hose is pretty thick and will probably make the job tougher. I cut up pieces of thick plastic jugs and use them as rim protectors. They are thin and slide in easily between the rim and spoon. Plastic milk jugs work okay but are a bit thin and the spoons can pinch through them. I use protein drink jugs but any thicker jugs like laundry detergent jugs would work well too.

Thanks,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

went to shop

As much as I wanted do this myself, I had to give up and get a tire shop to mount them. Tried the zip ties along with tire levers. Even with a piece of garden hose, my rim was getting marked up. Probably a combination of the rubber being so old and stiff as well as being cold. It was thin garden hose, too. To my surprise, the shop only charged me $10 a tire. Had I known they were going to be so cheap, I just would have went there in the first place. The motorcycle shop 2 blocks away wanted $50 per tire!
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That's cheap. Balanced too?
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

not balanced

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                That's cheap. Balanced too?
                No, I didn't get them balanced. I'm going with dyna beads.
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                X