fork oil level confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork oil level confusion

I think 245 ml is the correct amount of fork oil for each leg on my bike. But, I have seen different figures for the measurement of the air gap. Suspension is all stock. Can anyone tell me what this should be?

Also, I'm not an agressive rider but a little gravitationally challenged at about 265 lbs. What weight fork oil should I be using?
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

My manual states the same 245ml for fork oil, and 260mm oil level, or as you say, air gap - measured without springs & with the tube fully compressed.

I have the same bike & I re-did the front forks to OEM and used 15 weight fork oil, plus changed out the OEM springs & used progressives, no air pressure.

It was a lot better, but still not stiff enough to ride real aggressive (or at least as aggressive as you can ride on an 850 shaftie).

Same kinda issue with my '81 1100E, I stuck progressives in there too with similar results - bought a pair of straight weight Sonic springs, & that's one of this Springs' "spruce-up" events for the old girl, along with new pilot jets & a carb sync to fine-tune the carburation system.

I would think about replacing those OEM springs, especially if as you say, you are , "gravitationally challenged." Lots of folks here have good results with the Sonic Springs, but I have yet to install the ones i bought...

A big advantage to them is you buy them at specific spring rates based on your riding style & mass. Not a one size fits all spring like the progressives or OEM.

Good luck with your bike - I really like mine, it's a very comfy crusier...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Are you really planning on using stock springs at 265lbs?

Proper rate springs will work wonders.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't remember the oil level that I used in my wife's forks, but I installed Progressive springs and 10w oil.

Heavier oil does not do anything to hold the bike up, only to slow the action of the fork sliding. Don't use thicker fork oil to keep the forks from diving when you hit the brakes, use heavier springs (which are probably closer to "proper").

We went with Progressive springs because someone here had installed them, then chose to use Sonic springs, instead, so I got them for a good price. They work very well with her riding style (very relaxed) and desire for comfort. When I get my 850 back on the road, I will probably be installing a set of Sonic springs because of all the additional weight of the fairing.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X