GS550 Rear Sprocket and Carrier Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Rear Sprocket and Carrier Problem

Hi guys, so I'm a newbie around here, I picked up a 1978 GS550E (At least I believe its an E model, has the 18" Wheels) project bike last weekend (and by project, I mean PROJECT) and I've already run into a couple snags.

I purchased a 1979 GS550 sprocket and carrier off of ebay, but the carrier isn't matching up to the rear wheel. The outer diameter of the inside of the carrier does not match the inner diameter of the rear wheels hub. Shouldn't it just slide in and everything be fine and dandy? Or did I order the wrong part? I assumed that what I was buying was gonna be a direct fit, but it doesn't appear to be that way. The image below kinda explains my problem.

http://imgur.com/Q9x51jn

The ebay seller has a GS750E sprocket and carrier for sale, so if thats a direct match, I could probably just swap them out.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I'll be posting quite a bit now that I've joined the club!
    Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2014, 07:22 PM. Reason: added image link (couldn't get image upload to work)
Working...
X