Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear shock length to order? Analyzing Geometry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shock length to order? Analyzing Geometry?

1982 GS1100 Frame
    1985 GS1150 Forks
    1992 GSXR1100 Swingarm (mono mount cut off, twin mounts welded on)

I want to upgrade my rear shocks, and my question stems from the length choice I have for replacements. I'm looking at the YSS Eco line, and the C-302 Twin Gas Shock Absorber for $399. They come in lengths from 300 to 340mm. Honestly, I like the looks of a Reservoir/Piggyback shock, but don't really need a super high performance set for the riding I do with this bike.

What I'd like to do is measure the bike as scientifically as possible then plug that data into some sweet programming and have it spit out what I should change.

Am I dreaming?

Normally I just make slight or drastic adjustments like any other road racer would do to try and make things better. But on this bike, there's no real baseline, and I don't know if I'm even in the ballpark. And before I spend $400 on shocks, it would be sweet to get a length that would improve the bike's handling, or at least be appropriate.

Thanks for your input. Also, is there a better shock for the money than YSS?

-Kevin

I like the height adjustment of the SU-145 Ohlins. 1" in the rear in not excessive. I think I get 30-50 mm extra height.

* SU-145 Ohlins (stock length + 30-50mm)

Comment

TEC Shocks

Grand Rouge sent me information about TEC Bike Parts and their shocks for a very reasonable $150 ($129 + $21). I'm still trying to get in touch with Dave, US distributor, and sent an email to George in the UK. Don't know much more than the price and the pictures and two rave reviews.

It looks like they're a pretty new company, less than a year old, and already expanding the retail side of things in the UK. TEC Bike Parts is a UK company, and the shocks are outsourced to Taiwan. They do look a whole lot like the RFY units on eBay for $100. It's hard to find some quality analysis, and the quick judgement "China = Crap" flourishes on internet forums.

There's a fairly long installation guide here on a Triumph: http://youtu.be/zrn-O-B_BTI
      The best quote was at 5:40-
      "Remember, this thing is a dog pile Triumph Scrambler. It's 53 horsepower (of mayhem?). It's not really going to need Ohlins is it? That's like putting Nike Trainers on your Granny. It doesn't really make her run any faster does it? Although they look cool."

Grand Rouge also pointed me in the direction of Chris Livengood http://chrislivengood.net/wp/?cat=61 who actually bought several of these cheap shock brands, took them apart, tested them, compared them to top of the line (Ohlins/Penske) and found several startling discoveries. This is just the information that I love.

This guy Chris has looked at the RFY 1.0 and 2.0 (2.0 being what he calls Model 2 with adjustable rebound) and the TEC shocks, but hasn't taken the TEC units apart yet. There's some discussion about the functionality of the 2.0 reservoir and if the TEC is any better than an RFY shock. I'm going to wait to see what more I can learn about these. I'm the kind of guy that would love to buy shocks for $100, tear them down, put the right oil in them, set them up correctly and have a great shock for cheap.

I especially enjoyed the Model 2 review and the comments section: http://chrislivengood.net/wp/?p=1304

-Kevin

Here's the TEC shock:

Here's the RFY 1.0 apart:

Here's the RFY 2.0 w/ adj reb:

Here's the TEC on GR's beautiful one owner '83 GS1100E:

Comment

That is very interesting on those shocks and especially the adjustable ones with inoperable bladder. It dosent take long to figure out that if someone (e.g. Ohlins) is sell a pair of shocks for $1500 then the Chinese will try and knock it off for 1/10 of the price. If they (Chinese) are not there yet then they are very close and will be soon.

There were piggyback shocks for mopeds on ebay a while back (a few years ago)and they has serious structural problems with the lower clevis. It would break. These seem much closer to being a great alternative. All of the traditional shock manufacturers are gonna be doing some belt tightening.,

Comment

Originally posted by CivilRock View Post
          ...What I'd like to do is measure the bike as scientifically as possible then plug that data into some sweet programming and have it spit out what I should change.

Am I dreaming? ...
          Yup! You're dreaming. You're looking for an engineering equation. Look through a few engineering books and try to get a feeling for a few of the equations. Fudge factors are common, because guided experience works best in most circumstances.

Factory teams make changes based on seat of the pants evaluations. Tbey have the best engineers for suspensions.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
            Yup! You're dreaming. You're looking for an engineering equation. Look through a few engineering books and try to get a feeling for a few of the equations. Fudge factors are common, because guided experience works best in most circumstances.

Factory teams make changes based on seat of the pants evaluations. They have the best engineers for suspensions.
            I agree that fine tuning is mostly trial and error. If I had a bike that was designed by Suzuki, I would believe that my tinkering would be "fine tuning". But I have 3 different bikes in one. I have no idea if the end result is close to the average of those three bikes, or if it adds up to some funky geometry.

Check out Tony Foale's full software:
            พนันบอลออนไลน์ ฟรี วิธีการเลือกเว็บพนันบอลที่น่าเชื่อถือ ปัจจัยที่ควรพิจารณา ความคิดเห็นจากผู้ใช้ และความปลอดภัยสำหรับผู้เล่น

And here's a bunch of free calculators:
            พนันบอลออนไลน์ ฟรี วิธีการเลือกเว็บพนันบอลที่น่าเชื่อถือ ปัจจัยที่ควรพิจารณา ความคิดเห็นจากผู้ใช้ และความปลอดภัยสำหรับผู้เล่น

Here's what I believe; I think my trail is too long. This is just a guess. It's probably a good thing for drag racing, but not very good for riding around town. My bike really wants to go straight, and it takes a lot of input to make it lean over and turn. Either a lot of steering, or a lot of my butt off to the side.

I can't (or won't) change my frame rake or triple offset, but I can make minor adjustments of my fork height in the triples (easy), the rear axle in the swingarm (chain length), and the ride height in the rear (shock length - with aftermarket shocks).

My first goal is to somehow measure my bike with some degree of accuracy. Not sure how to do that yet. I'll plug those values into Tony's software and see what I've got. Then I plan on comparing those measurements to different factory bike specs and see where they fall. If there's an easy adjustment within my abilities, I'm going to make it.

Maybe I am dreaming, but I'm going to see if I can put some science to it.

-Kevin

Comment

I agree that fine tuning is mostly trial and error. If I had a bike that was designed by Suzuki, I would believe that my tinkering would be "fine tuning". But I have 3 different bikes in one. I have no idea if the end result is close to the average of those three bikes, or if it adds up to some funky geometry.

Check out Tony Foale's full software:

And here's a bunch of free calculators:

Here's what I believe; I think my trail is too long. This is just a guess. It's probably a good thing for drag racing, but not very good for riding around town. My bike really wants to go straight, and it takes a lot of input to make it lean over and turn. Either a lot of steering, or a lot of my butt off to the side.

I can't (or won't) change my frame rake or triple offset, but I can make minor adjustments of my fork height in the triples (easy), the rear axle in the swingarm (chain length), and the ride height in the rear (shock length - with aftermarket shocks).

My first goal is to somehow measure my bike with some degree of accuracy. Not sure how to do that yet. I'll plug those values into Tony's software and see what I've got. Then I plan on comparing those measurements to different factory bike specs and see where they fall. If there's an easy adjustment within my abilities, I'm going to make it.

Maybe I am dreaming, but I'm going to see if I can put some science to it.

-Kevin

I gave you a starting point in that spreadsheet (I think I sent), it includes a trail calculation and various adjustments to the EZ/ED parameters, but interested to see if there is something new to be calculated.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                I gave you a starting point in that spreadsheet (I think I sent), it includes a trail calculation and various adjustments to the EZ/ED parameters, but interested to see if there is something new to be calculated.
                Yes, you did. Sorry, I didn't really look at it past the ground clearance section.

I'm reading about how to accurately measure bikes now. (Without hiring a professional) I think I'm going to try it with a tape measure, and also with a digital camera and SketchUp.

Do you know of some secret and easy method that I'm not thinking about (or finding on the internets)?

Comment

Yes, you did. Sorry, I didn't really look at it past the ground clearance section.

I'm reading about how to accurately measure bikes now. (Without hiring a professional) I think I'm going to try it with a tape measure, and also with a digital camera and SketchUp.

Do you know of some secret and easy method that I'm not thinking about (or finding on the internets)?
                  My secret method was to do deltas off the factory specs which inherently limits the errors I can introduce. I did check to make sure that my formulas reproduced the factory spec trail. There was a trail tab if you look. I think the spreadsheet values are linked to the main one.

I'm not sure what other parameters you might be after. As I recall, trail and belly clearance were the only things I was after.

Comment

Shock length is arguably the single most important parameter when setting up a bike. It affects SA angle, rake, trail, CoG (both height and F/R distribution), ground clearance, wheelbase, etc...
                    Because it impacts so many things, and in interrelated ways, it's very hard to say "This is the magic number!!", especially just working from a calculator. You really need experience with that particular bike to know what works and what doesn't.

When we're setting up a track bike for the first time, with no experience on that model, SOP is to start increasing shock length until either the front end start to want to tuck and/or loses feel (too little trail) or the rear end wants to step out on corner exit (too much SA angle). That procedure works if the stock setup has too much trail and too little SA angle, which is true most of the time.
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

So I did some measurements as best I could with what I have, dug up the law of cosines, and used Tony Foale's steering geometry calculator and came up with the following:

Wheelbase: 1568.5 mm (61.75")
                      Head angle: 60.9 (caster: 29.1)
                      Trail: 125.8 mm (4.95")
                      Shock: 324 mm (12.75")
                      Front: 254 lbs.
                      Rear: 261 lbs.
                      Total: 515 lbs. (full tank of fuel, read to ride)

I found some data for Yamaha Models for 2006 as a comparison:
                      (Wheelbase/caster/trail)
                      R1 1415 24 97 Super Sport
                      FZ1 1460 25 109 Sport
                      FJR 1550 26 109 Sport Touring
                      XV 1715 31 152 Cruiser

Here's some info that I stole from a Ducati forum as a guideline:
                      For every 1mm increase in rear ride height:
                      Trail decreases 0.4 mm
                      Wheelbase decreases 0.2 mm
                      Height of the bike’s center of gravity increases 0.8 mm
                      Percent of the bike’s weight on the front wheel increases 0.03 percent

For every 1mm that you raise the forks in the triple clamps (lowering the front end):
                      Trail decreases 0.2mm
                      Wheelbase decreases 0.5mm
                      Height of the bike’s center of gravity decreases 0.4mm
                      Percent of the bike’s weight on the front wheel increases 0.06 percent

From that same site the Ducati Monster is 24 deg and 94mm trail.

I don't think I'm too far off because the measurements I came up with are in line with how the bike feels. I'd like to decrease the trail by about 17 mm and get it in line with a sport and ST bikes at 109mm. If I went 20 mm taller in the rear, and raised the forks 10 mm in the triples that should net me (8+2) 10 mm less trail at 116. Not quite 109 mm, but I'm not sure how much longer shocks I should get, and how far I can move the 1150 fork tubes.

All this math is just an exercise in trying to put some science behind what I know to be the real test. But it makes me feel better if the math backs up what I'm feeling "seat of the pants".

If you can read all this, digest it, and give me some feedback, I'd love to hear it.

-Kevin
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2014, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        I like the height adjustment of the SU-145 Ohlins. 1" in the rear in not excessive. I think I get 30-50 mm extra height.
                        After all that number crunching, the first response was a suggestion of 30-50 mm extra rear height by posplayr. That's just what I need.

-Kevin

Comment

So I did some measurements as best I could with what I have, dug up the law of cosines, and used Tony Foale's steering geometry calculator and came up with the following:

Wheelbase: 1568.5 mm (61.75") Stock was 59.4
                          Head angle: 60.9 (caster: 29.1) (Stock is 62 deg)
                          Trail: 125.8 mm (4.95") (stock is 116 mm)
                          Shock: 324 mm (12.75") (stock they are 300mm eye to eye IIRC)
                          Front: 254 lbs.
                          Rear: 261 lbs.
                          Total: 515 lbs. (full tank of fuel, read to ride)

I found some data for Yamaha Models for 2006 as a comparison:
                          (Wheelbase/caster/trail)
                          R1 1415 24 97 Super Sport
                          FZ1 1460 25 109 Sport
                          FJR 1550 26 109 Sport Touring
                          XV 1715 31 152 Cruiser

Here's some info that I stole from a Ducati forum as a guideline:
                          For every 1mm increase in rear ride height:
                          Trail decreases 0.4 mm (This type of sensitivity analysis should be easy to determine once you have a spreadsheet or other model)
                          Wheelbase decreases 0.2 mm
                          Height of the bike’s center of gravity increases 0.8 mm
                          Percent of the bike’s weight on the front wheel increases 0.03 percent

For every 1mm that you raise the forks in the triple clamps (lowering the front end):
                          Trail decreases 0.2mm
                          Wheelbase decreases 0.5mm
                          Height of the bike’s center of gravity decreases 0.4mm
                          Percent of the bike’s weight on the front wheel increases 0.06 percent

From that same site the Ducati Monster is 24 deg and 94mm trail.

I don't think I'm too far off because the measurements I came up with are in line with how the bike feels. I'd like to decrease the trail by about 17 mm and get it in line with a sport and ST bikes at 109mm. If I went 20 mm taller in the rear, and raised the forks 10 mm in the triples that should net me (8+2) 10 mm less trail at 116. Not quite 109 mm, but I'm not sure how much longer shocks I should get, and how far I can move the 1150 fork tubes.

As i mentioned above your bike stock from the factory was 116 mm trail. I figure my GS1100ED with 88 1100GSXR forks went to 119.6 mm with all of my mods.

According to the numbers I have in the spreadsheet if your go to 17" wheels and USD GSXR 750 forks then you can drop down to 111 mm. The issue will be ground clearance.

All this math is just an exercise in trying to put some science behind what I know to be the real test. But it makes me feel better if the math backs up what I'm feeling "seat of the pants".

If you can read all this, digest it, and give me some feedback, I'd love to hear it.

-Kevin

BTW you will need a more modern fork to lower the triple on the fork. A cartridge type fork deals with the road better and you don't need as much travel. The old forks will bottom out sooner and/or you will hit your pipes.
                          Last edited by posplayr; 03-12-2014, 03:15 AM.

Comment

When I look at RFY shocks on Ebay I can't tell which is Model 1 & which are 2's. The 2's look like the one to avoid according to

so I only want Model 1.
                            Is there a way to tell the difference? Which ones should I order to fit my gs 1100's?
                            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I went for an extended ride today to pick up my Series R/R from Polaris, and my connector lead from Triumph. Before I went out I checked my tire pressure. This is my 2nd 30+ mile test since I swapped the motor, and for some reason I didn't check the tires for the first ride. Front was at 22, rear 17 psi. I remembered that I had lowered the rear to 20 for drag racing, and never aired it back up.

So dumb. I spent an hour measuring the bike, and 2-3 hours looking up stuff and analyzing numbers. Plus who knows how much time reading and trying to educate myself on motorcycle geometry.

I aired up both front and back to 30psi and it's like a new machine!!! We used to run 28-29 psi on Pirellis road racing, and I think they're running 24-25 now. Even though the tires say 32-36. So I settled on 30 psi.

It still doesn't turn in like a sportbike, but sheesh is that wallowing feeling all but gone. I still want some fancy reservoir shocks on the rear.

I'm a perfect example of "analysis paralysis". I don't even know if that's the right phrase, but when I was a kid I completely took apart a lawnmower one time only to realize in the end that it was out of gas. I feel the same way right now.

Keep It Simple Sweetheart.

I heard a secret formula for a sweet setup is SV forks with F2 tubes. Apparently my 1150 forks are dogpile in the best condition, and it's way cheaper/easier to just swap in newer technology to begin with, and go from there.
                              I just spent so much time finding the right rotors, calipers, wheels, spacers, bushings, etc. to make the 1150 front end work; I have to decide how much this means to me.

-Kevin
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X