Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to choose and buy a modern tire ?

Hi everyone

Really stupid question, I'm trying to on replace a rear tire on my 1979 gs850g.

when I look up what the bike should have, it seems to have:

4.50 17.

when trying to look for a tire, it seems that newer tires use other standards of measurements

I tried to check compatibility lists and it shows 120/80, 120/90 or MP85.

I do not seem to find the tire in size 17 which seems to be what the bike would have on it.

does anyone have a suggestion ? (Im looking for reasonable price too)

thanks

sean

The

If you want a cheap tire (that is still decent) and don't mind changing it a bit more often, Shinko 230 Tourmaster.

If you want to change your tires less frequently, Avon AM26 Road Riders.

Feel free to step up one size to increase your selection. Front tire should be a 100/90-19, the rear can be a 130/90-17.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The Shinko is a very decent tire. I ran them on my VMax.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Avon is still having sidewall cracking issues on their Road Riders.

Comment

what about tire max load?

My bike shows as being 601lbs wet.

the tires I keep looking at seem to be rated at 675, or 827 (for the tourmaster 230's mentioned).

so according to my simple math skills
          601 lb bike
          250 lb rider

= 851 ?

so too heavy for the tires ?

Comment

Perelli sport demons...I love them. I run Avon Roadriders too. Got 14000kms on my 1100 out of the last ones.
            No signature :(

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              Perelli sport demons...I love them. I run Avon Roadriders too. Got 14000kms on my 1100 out of the last ones.
              When did you switch to Sport Demons ? I currently have 12,000 on mine and the rear wear bars are just starting to show.
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
              https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

I have a 17" rear Avon Roadrider if you are interested. No longer have any 17" wheel bikes. Never been mounted, date code is maybe three years old now. If you are interested I can look it up.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I may be interested, I'll PM you.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I have a 17" rear Avon Roadrider if you are interested. No longer have any 17" wheel bikes. Never been mounted, date code is maybe three years old now. If you are interested I can look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                    When did you switch to Sport Demons ? I currently have 12,000 on mine and the rear wear bars are just starting to show.
                    My 1100 needed tires back in November after putting on 14000 on the Avon's. They were out of stock for one of the sizes I needed and I have thought about trying the Demons. So I did. I like everything about them, look great, handle even better and great grip. I'm sure the down side will be that they don't last as long but now having the beemer I won't be putting as many miles on my GS bikes. Plan to switch the 750 over too when needed.
                    You coming over to the Coombs swap meet? April 6th

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      My 1100 needed tires back in November after putting on 14000 on the Avon's. They were out of stock for one of the sizes I needed and I have thought about trying the Demons. So I did. I like everything about them, look great, handle even better and great grip. I'm sure the down side will be that they don't last as long but now having the beemer I won't be putting as many miles on my GS bikes. Plan to switch the 750 over too when needed.
                      You coming over to the Coombs swap meet? April 6th
                      Didn't know about it. Weather permitting, sounds like fun. I'll see if I can talk Andrew into coming with....
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                      https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        Didn't know about it. Weather permitting, sounds like fun. I'll see if I can talk Andrew into coming with....
                        PM sent. Don't wanna highjack

Comment

Working...
                        X