What the ef is the deal with my flat tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the ef is the deal with my flat tires

Had a brand new Shinko mounted last fall, think it was October, for the 850L I am working on. Never had it on the bike. Discovered it was dead flat when I went to put on couple weeks ago. Aired it up and put it on, figured it needed to seat a little, rode it around a little but no dice, keeps going flat

Had a brand new Shinko mounted for the rear of my 850G in September I think (by a different shop, they had one in stock and I needed one quick) and it is not holding air either! Can't find any weird puncture's or anything in it. Thought maybe just the up/down temp but this can't be it.

Any of you guys have tires get unseated on you? What's up?

Are you sure it's the tires and not a flat spot in your bead?

edit- just saw that you are talking about two separate wheels. Oxidized rims?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Maybe the valve is leaking?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Maybe the valve is leaking?
        I just ran out and looked at the valve on my 850G and it does not look like it was replaced. This is my bad. Going to look deeper into it tomorrow and the the other wheel as well

Comment

These are tubeless? Could be the whole valve stem is too old to seal in the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
            Had a brand new Shinko mounted last fall, think it was October, for the 850L I am working on. Never had it on the bike. Discovered it was dead flat when I went to put on couple weeks ago. Aired it up and put it on, figured it needed to seat a little, rode it around a little but no dice, keeps going flat

Had a brand new Shinko mounted for the rear of my 850G in September I think (by a different shop, they had one in stock and I needed one quick) and it is not holding air either! Can't find any weird puncture's or anything in it. Thought maybe just the up/down temp but this can't be it.

Any of you guys have tires get unseated on you? What's up?
            I have a similar issue with my 1100, but only on the front. The previous tires were mounted with tubes, but I mounted them tubless. I supplied the tire shop with new OEM valve stems as well.

So I have noticed that the front tire goes soft fairly quickly, but the rear seems solid. I tightened up the locking nut on the front valve stem & that helped a lot, but it still loses a little air and I have to adjust the pressure every week during everyday riding.

Check your stems & see if they're snug & see if that solves the issue.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              I have a similar issue with my 1100, but only on the front. The previous tires were mounted with tubes, but I mounted them tubless. I supplied the tire shop with new OEM valve stems as well.

So I have noticed that the front tire goes soft fairly quickly, but the rear seems solid. I tightened up the locking nut on the front valve stem & that helped a lot, but it still loses a little air and I have to adjust the pressure every week during everyday riding.

Check your stems & see if they're snug & see if that solves the issue.
              Will do, something got to be going on. Will report back

Comment

A bottle of soapy water will tell you a lot.

Comment

I have the same problem with my 750, I contacted the shop that fitted my tyres and he said this was often a problem on older bikes like this because the shape and fit of a new tire is not the same as what it was in the 70's and 80's, therefore there is a mismatch that often leads to the tires leaking around the edges of the wheel because it's not seating like it should.
                  You can use leak-finder or soapy water to check for air leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                    I have the same problem with my 750, I contacted the shop that fitted my tyres and he said this was often a problem on older bikes like this because the shape and fit of a new tire is not the same as what it was in the 70's and 80's, therefore there is a mismatch that often leads to the tires leaking around the edges of the wheel because it's not seating like it should.
                    You can use leak-finder or soapy water to check for air leaks.
                    Interesting - what ever the reason, I'll be running tubes on the next tire change
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Mystery Solved!

Both tires had loose valve cores Now how the hell does that happen? Tightened both up, aired up and they are good to go.

Comment

Who put them in last?

Comment

Do you have tubeless rims?
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                            Both tires had loose valve cores Now how the hell does that happen? Tightened both up, aired up and they are good to go.
                            Hope that solves your problem, let us know how they hold.
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                            X