FR caliper holder doesn't fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FR caliper holder doesn't fit

Ok, so I did a full brake job (new SS lines, pistons, cleaned and pained) and now putting everything back on, but the right front caliper mount won't fit. When I bought the bike he was only using the left caliper, but had all the hardware for the right side so I figured I would install both. The left one mounts just fine, but as you can see on the picture the right mount hits both the right rotor and the mounting hole on the forks? Any ideas why? Could I possibly be missing a washer on the axle?

EDIT: I answered my own question. I was missing the washer near the axle nut.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2014, 01:42 PM.

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
    Ok, so I did a full brake job (new SS lines, pistons, cleaned and pained) and now putting everything back on, but the right front caliper mount won't fit. When I bought the bike he was only using the left caliper, but had all the hardware for the right side so I figured I would install both. The left one mounts just fine, but as you can see on the picture the right mount hits both the right rotor and the mounting hole on the forks? Any ideas why? Could I possibly be missing a washer on the axle?

EDIT: I answered my own question. I was missing the washer near the axle nut.
    BAZINGA!
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well I thought I found the problem, but I guess not. So when you look at t he attached picture I was missing the washers next to the axle nut (#9). Even with those on I think the forks are going inward too much and not giving the right side enough space between the rotor and caliper bracket. I know I must be missing something stupid.

When looking at the picture #8 is supposed to through through the fork with the big end out correct?

Please help?

Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2014, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Got the axle spacers facing the right way Theres a shoulder that has to go the rim and the fork hits against it so you cant tighten it too much and draw the fork in..which will also make the caliper jam all up in there like your describing.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Its actually shown backwards on the fiche..turn them so the shoulders are on the rim side and tighten the forks against the shoulders.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Looking at the diagram it looked like the shoulder went out through the forks?

Comment

So basically flip it so the shoulder is on the inside of the fork then? ugh, I'm an idiot. thanks

Comment

Yes...the shoulder hits against the inside of the fork where the axle bolt goes thru. the spacer is jammed between the bearing cover and the speedo gear drive and thus keeps the legs from drawing in and bowing like they did on you.

ALSO ALSO ALSO.....Hook up the speedo cable and be sure the two dogs on the speedo gear drive mesh with the spots on the rim and dont gorilla tighten the axle bolt..it will squish the tabs and bend them. Then the speedo wont work right.

Get the speedo cable hooked up and be sure the arrow on the drive is pointing up and paralell to the fork. Hold the axle with a phillips screwdriver to keep the axle from turning the drive assembly as you tighten the nut.. And this also keeps from kinking off the speedo cable itself.Follow me??

Comment

Okay I follow everything you said except "the arrow on the drive is pointing up and parallel to the fork?" Not sure what you mean there. I did flip the spacer and its great now and the speed is in the grooves you mentioned

Comment

There is an arrow on the speedo gear that needs to be pointing parallel to the fork
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The arrow I see is on the main shaft near the "made in Japan" print and it's pointing at a 45 degree angle toward the front down of the bike. If I try to point it up and down there's a hump on the other side that pushes it out too far.

Comment

As long as the speedo cable is straight comming off the gear drive and you dont kink it as you tighten the bolt is all good.

Comment

There are different speedo drives for the bikes with leading-axle forks. For them, the locator bumps and the arrows are in different locations.

The only really important parts are to have the two drive tabs properly engaged and to have the cable coming out the back so that it is not kinked.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think I'm good then because it is engaged in the two tabs and does come out the back. The cable goes downward slightly, but no kink and everything buttoned up nicely. Thanks again guys....8 months for this build and almost done!

Comment

Working...
                            X