Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GK Rebuild rear shocks ?

Hello all.

I picked up a 1982 GS1100GK (GS 1100 GK) a couple months ago, and one of the rear shocks is leaking oil.

The bike is in really good shape with only 25k miles or so on it....it's all original as far as I can tell.....and so are the rear air shocks.

One of them appears to be OK (i.e. not leaking), but the other one just drips oil....just sitting on the center stand, with no weight on the shock.

Anyway.....I don't really want to spend $300+ on new shocks and was wondering if the original shocks can be rebuilt or re-sealed.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Can you even ' rebuild ' the air shocks? If so, any instructions to go about doing it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2014, 12:20 PM.

I had the same issue when I got my gk, leaking from the top. It was coming from the seal on the damping adjuster dial. I took the shocks off, removed the air valve adaptor and emptied out all the old oil as best i could (it was black and nasty) then refilled them with some medium weight synth fork oil. 200ml came out so i put 200ml back in. They work fine now and even stopped leaking!! I guess with use and fresh oil the seals softened up and started doing their job again. Nice Good luck.

Comment

There is no procedure for rebuilding the air shocks in my factory manual. Are you sure the oil isn't coming from the final drive or the air fitting. Buy a used set. Are you in Oregon by chance? I know a fellow in Salem Oregon who is parting a 82 GK.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Yeah I'm sure......There's no leakage from up top, dry as a bone. It's definitely coming from the shaft, inside the rubber boot....So it's the seal between the shaft & the body.....just drips out to the point it makes a spot on the ground...like it's bleeding to death.

Comment

And I tried buying a used one off Ebay that supposedly didn't leak.....just put it on the bike yesterday....didn't ride it....came out this morning & it's the same EXACT thing.....$30 down the drain.

UPDATE

At least it's not $30 down the drain.....The Ebay seller refunded my money.....So there are still good, stand up guys out there in the world
          Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2014, 01:52 AM. Reason: update

Comment

BTW....both my old shock & the 'new' used shock won't hold air either.....And again, they both leak from the shaft seal unfortunately.....Guess I'm outta luck.

That being said.....Any ideas on some CHEAP replacements. I don't plan on doing any nationwide, 2 up touring, so I don't need anything fancy shock-wise.

I bought the bike in a 'deal I couldn't pass up' situation for $800...with no intent of spending a ton of money on it. I've got a few hundred more into it with new tires & some other little things.....and I don't really want to put much more into it, ya know.

So 'affordable' (i.e. cheap) is the key word .....and I have a feeling going used is just going to be one money pit after another......Any ideas?

Thanks.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

UK Rebuild for Air Shocks

Yup I got mine totally rebuilt and rechromed here in the UK. There is a guy over here who works in his home and does it. Cost me around £180 though.

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Londonboards.....Hey, that's funny.....while doing some online research earlier, I came across your blog & was wondering how to get a hold of you.....just to see if it was true you had them rebuilt & to find out who did it.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be cost effective for me to use your guy in the UK...I could buy a set of new shocks for what it would cost me. Maybe you could put me in touch with that guy & I could see if he would reveal his secret to me....so I could take a crack it myself?

Comment

So I ended up going with new Progressive 412 Series shocks ($225).....but now I'm selling the bike (so if anyone is interested...or knows anyone).......

Other than that....I do have one of the original air shocks left over....it doesn't seem to leak & it hold air....I think it probably has some miles left in it......So if anyone is interested in buying it, shoot me a message & an offer. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X