Widest r tire for 1100EZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widest r tire for 1100EZ?

I bought my 1100EZ half a year ago. What's the widest tire I can have installed on the stock rear wheel with no modifications? (The following is currently mounted: Bridgestone "Spitfire 11R" 130/90-17).

I'm assuming a bigger contact patch would be a good thing. It also just looks rather spindly when parked next to more modern liter-class sportbikes.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

I would say no more then a 140 , I have done it anything bigger I'm not sure! Brian

Comment

A wider tire won't give it a bigger contact patch on skinny wheels. Just makes it handle funny. It looks spindly because that's how bikes were made back then. It ill still go around a corner better than most sportbike riders can.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tires

I'm running 130-90-/17 and it's already a pretty tight squeeze. I wouldn't consider anything bigger.....or smaller.
        1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          (The following is currently mounted: Bridgestone "Spitfire 11R" 130/90-17).
          The 130/90-17 is larger, or wider than what came stock in '82?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yes

The 130/90-17 is larger, or wider than what came stock in '82?
            Mine is an '80 1100ET and I know it came with Bridgestone 4.50 V 17 tires which is a smaller tire than the 130/90-17. The '82 EZ models came with the same size tires.
            Last edited by rockford; 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Stock in '82 was a 4.50. Is that smaller than a 130/90?

Looks like I'm at the limit for my stock wheel.
              Last edited by Rob S.; 04-07-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah

Stock in '82 was a 4.50. Is that smaller than a 130/90?

Looks like I'm at the limit for my stock wheel.
                See my previous posts. (The orginal tires were 114.3mm and the ones you have now are 130mm....so they're a little over 1/2 an inch wider than the original tire.)
                Last edited by rockford; 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

From what I have read, it does not pay to put oversize tyres on stock wheels on bikes as it messes the geometry up or something, so handling gets messed up. Thats why people fit different wheels. Have you read this:

Avon has been making high quality tyres since 1904, tyres that fit all sorts of cars, motorbikes, vans and trailers. On two wheels as well as four.

Comment

Size tolerance

Originally posted by UK-GT View Post
                    From what I have read, it does not pay to put oversize tyres on stock wheels on bikes as it messes the geometry up or something, so handling gets messed up. Thats why people fit different wheels. Have you read this:

http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Tires_101.pdf
                    I think that is a really good, well-written and informative article. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by rockford View Post
                      The orginal tires were 114.3mm and the ones you have now are 130mm....so they're a little over 1/2 an inch wider than the original tire.
                      Wow. I'm going to go back to the 1982 magazines to see how spindly the original was.

Comment

I'm assuming a bigger contact patch would be a good thing. It also just looks rather spindly when parked next to more modern liter-class sportbikes.
                        Your assumption is incorrect

A wider back tire on a skinny rim just distorts the tire shape and makes the contact patch smaller. And the handling worse

If you want a modern look, buy a modern bike. Or, resto mod with modern wheels

Somehow, we managed to drag pipes, pegs and stands with the crappy tires of that era, when these bikes were new. Imagine what a good tire can do now
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Such good posts here. There is an obsession with fatness these days, and, though wider wheels and tires may offer some advantages, so many other things will have to be upgraded to do that justice that it really does beg the question of "why?" The reason is almost entirely one of aesthetics on these old beasts. I'll spend my money on other stuff for now at least.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

[QUOTE=Big T;2031537]
                            If you want a modern look, buy a modern bike. /QUOTE]

After you grind the pegs and center stand off the EZ.....then go buy a GSX-R
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

[QUOTE=Big T;2031537]
                              If you want a modern look, buy a modern bike.[ /QUOTE]

After you grind the pegs and center stand off the EZ.....then go buy a GSX-R
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X