What causes handlebar shaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What causes handlebar shaking?

Are swing arm bushings the usual culprit?

What is the proper order to check/replace parts?

Are wheel bearings involved here?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    Are swing arm bushings the usual culprit?

What is the proper order to check/replace parts?

Are wheel bearings involved here?
    At low speed?

Comment

Yes at what speed(s) A number of or a combination of things can cause the front end shake. Worn front tire, worn fork bushings, wheel bearings, steering head bearings worn and or out of adjustment, swing arm bearings, bad shocks and or worn shock mounts, misalignment of the rear wheel. Process of elimination to find what is causing it. Start at the front and work your way back. Sometimes it can be just suckie roads.
      Last edited by mrbill5491; 05-12-2014, 01:36 AM.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Sometimes she shakes slow, sometimes fast. Tires have plenty of tread and look to be wearing evenly.

I haven't been able to nail it down. Sometimes I can do my block's quarter mile with no hands, even over the speed bump with no problem. Other times, same block, as soon as I let go she starts shaking. My block would be in first, second or third gear.

Same is true on the highway at 70 or so. Sometimes shake, sometimes no shake.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

any of the above but also head shake is an inherent design fault with motorcycles ,check this out
          Dave Rawlings & John Peters, from Dunlop Outdoor Tyre Test, show some of the issues with "high speed" motorcycling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            Sometimes she shakes slow, sometimes fast. Tires have plenty of tread and look to be wearing evenly.

I haven't been able to nail it down. Sometimes I can do my block's quarter mile with no hands, even over the speed bump with no problem. Other times, same block, as soon as I let go she starts shaking. My block would be in first, second or third gear.

Same is true on the highway at 70 or so. Sometimes shake, sometimes no shake.
            You should start with everything but there is a priority. If the tires are old even if there is tread replace them. Make sure the steering head bearings are properly greased, not notching and properly adjusted. Change the oli in the forks and make sure it is properly filled. Replace the springs if too low.

That will probably solve most problems in the front end with wobble but but the rear end can cause weave.

Comment

Tire balance can cause it also. My 1000g has some headshake when I first take off and tires are cold as soon as I get some heat into them the headshake goes away
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by daturat100r View Post
                any of the above but also head shake is an inherent design fault with motorcycles ,check this out
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OQ...Wj8DhFaCwwMOxg
                what I learnt from this link is I need to wear a diving belt and lay down when riding ha ha

was a good clip and interesting

Comment

What I learned from that clip is that it was a VERY OLD clip.

I am sure that some of the principles remain the same, but technology has probably changed just a bit since that film was made.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Interesting...

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

So, when it comes to OLD motorbikes, there is an upside to being over-weight/obese?
                      I would rather be healthy, live to ride longer and rectify the suspension problems myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        What I learned from that clip is that it was a VERY OLD clip.

I am sure that some of the principles remain the same, but technology has probably changed just a bit since that film was made.

Don't forget that we are riding VERY OLD bikes that were designed not much after that film was made. My 79 GS1000L use to wobble at anything over 90 mph or so. Even when it was new. Always considered it a "design feature" to help keep me from going that fast.
                        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

That's an L thing.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            That's an L thing.
                            How did I know that you were going to say that?
                            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I've had a number of bikes that would get a head shake when decelerating with no hands at about 35 mph. Fairly quick oscillation of high amplitude. Putting one finger on the hand grip would stop it. It was completely harmless. I think maybe my 1000G does it too.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X