Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower front forks on 83 GS650

Hey there!

I just acquired an 83 GS650. I have been converting it to a cafe-style bike. I was wondering if anyone has lowered the front forks, and can offer any suggestions on how, and how far. From what I have heard, is that you should put on clip-ons after because the forks will poke out on the top.

Any insight or help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Keep in mind that ANY lowering that you do will reduce cornering clearance.

One of the objectives of a cafe racer (the true racer, not the cafe-style) bikes is to enhance performance, not reduce it.

Installation of clip-on bars is a personal choice. If that's what floats your boat, go for it. Are you building this bike for you or to please someone else?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am building it for myself. Just curious, I've seen others online that have the lowered forks, but not sure if they did it themselves or got a kit. I was thinking of lowering it maybe an 1.5 inches.

Comment

Lowering is a style thing. Raising them with stronger springs and preload is a performance thing.
        Cafe racer is supposed to go around corners, isn't it?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I see what you are saying. Im new to this...........so how do you suggest I do this?

A lot of the GS650 I've seen that are cafed, they look lowered, but maybe I am mistaken. Are there any kits, or how would one bring down the front end, without sacrificing performance.

Comment

Most cafe bikes these days are a styling exercise. The line between cafe and bobber is getting thinner. Both are completely ridiculous things to do to a motorcycle.

Real ones, made to go fast and handle well are few and far between.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You are building your kind of bike and lessons will be learned, but it will be your bike, and the lessons will be invaluable.

Have a look at the picture below. Shortening the forks involves shortening the upper spring and using a longer spring in the lower position.

Photo courtesy of Race Tech

Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM. Reason: credit

Comment

Working...
              X