Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to raise the backend of a GS750 - Advice welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to raise the backend of a GS750 - Advice welcome!

Hi! I'm looking to raise the backend of my 77' GS750 an 1" and limit overall shock travel as well. This is primarily to avoid rear tire rubbing on my modded flat cafe style seat as I ride with a passenger about 60% of the time.

I've read some forums about Hagon RR 350mm shocks with a +1 20kg/110lb spring but i'm worried this might not be enough. Has anyone done this mod? Can you share your experiences? Did you get speed wobble upfront? What shocks / springs did you use?

Thanks!!

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    BTW2, we like pictures.

You know that changing the ride height reduces your trail (front end) which makes your steering more twitchy (quicker, sporty, etc.). 1" is a lot of change. I know it sounds trivial, but racers adjust by tenths of an inch.

I put some TEC shocks on my bike and I'm pretty happy with them. They were $140, and for $19 more I got the HD springs. They also come adjustable ride height, adjustable spring preload, and 1-1/8th spacers if you run out of adjustment and/or so the same shock can be used for multiple bikes. There's a full review I did of them here somewhere.

The CA distributor is very short on words, email only.

-Kevin

Comment

Thanks!

I'm aware of what can happen upfront when raising the backend and if i make any major adjustments, i'll put some proper springs up front to balance it out.

I'm tempted by the Hagon 350 mm with a stiffer spring as they likely won't make the front end to sketchy but I am worried they won't lift the bike by much. Either way, I'm researching options as the mechanic said that it needs to be done to pass safety. I've seen a lot of cafes with their seats on the frame rails so I think the rule might be a little precocious. In the end I want to keep the seat and make the bike safe, so we'll see.

Comment

i have been struggling with the same thing. my tire likes to rub on my battery box. a couple years ago, i talked to Ikon about custom length shocks. if i remember correctly, we need a shock with the LENGTH of a CB 900, but with suzuki lower mounts........I need to get bock on that......mine is running with homemade extensions right now. funny how the "temporary" fixes last for years Lol

Comment

Hi there,

I am currently working on my 1980 suzuki GS550, making it into a stripped back london hack.

I also want to replace the chrome rear shocks for some new clean looking all black units. I have found a Taiwanese supplier who stocks the standard 335mm long units for the bike. I want to raise the rear up a little to give a slightly more aggressive stance, and possibly lower the front forks through the yokes a little too.

My question fits into this topic well... How much can you increase the rear twin shock length by without risking a poor handling bike? I can get the units made for a GS1000 which have a very slightly harder spring rate, and are 30mm longer at 365mm long. what do you think?

Ive only ever had experience with raising the rear with mono shocks, where the ride height is more drastically affected by shock length due to the linkages multiplying the effect of a longer shock.

Any help or advise from previous experiences would be great!

thanks in advance!

Gadget boy

Comment

Working...
          X