yolks/trees/forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yolks/trees/forks

hi,i am rebuilding a 1978 gs 750 as a cafe racer and was wondering what front forks will fit can i use a set of 77 yolks or i think they are also known as trees in some parts! on my 78 frame and do all fork legs fit all years(other than single front disc),i have just purchased a set of spoked wheels twin disc front to give it the period look hope you can help

Originally posted by blackhallr View Post
    hope you can help
    Can't help, can't even understand your question. Was it a question?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Can't help, can't even understand your question. Was it a question?
      That is what texting and smartphones have done to the English language and the brains of the people using them. Kids now think that capitalization, punctuation and proper grammar are unnecessary antiquities.

I think he was asking if he can use a set of '77 forks and spoked front wheel on his '78 GS. Maybe while keeping the stock '78 triple clamps, but I'm not sure on that part. OP, try reposting your question in straight English with punctuation and we might be able to help you.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

yolks / trees / forks..... an omelette?
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

With Broccoli, apparently.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

By yolks he means yokes which is his way of saying triple tree (he even quantifies it as such). Any triple tree can likely be made to work with any frame as long as you have proper bearings etc. Just make sure to use the corresponding fork legs for the triple tree as the fork legs on different models are different diameters, like my 750L has 35mm fork tubes whereas the 850G has 37mm.

Comment

hi shadow,yes that was the question i was asking,the problem is language differences in the uk triple trees are refered to as fork yolks and as a mainly us readership i tried to explain our word usage im sorry i upset tkent02 with my bad explination but it is a problem ive always had and at the age of 67 i dont think it will change now,being that age i was taught punctuation etc with a teacher wealding a 4ft cane,regards john.

Comment

Just as a note, you've probably already noticed, the front spoked rim you've bought have drilled threaded holes on both sides. If you wanted you could set up a dual brake system up front. But you would have to get a fork for the right side that has the holes for the caliper as well.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

hi azr,i was lucky enough to get the double disc on the 2 spoked wheels i bought and the forks i have accept twin discs it was just the triple trees i need for them i can get a top tree in polished aluminium which is supposed to come from a 78 gs750 but has no ign/lock built in and i like the look of it but would this fit mine,regards john.

Comment

Yes 77 triple tree will fit your 78. I'm pretty sure none of the earlier bikes (pre 80) had their ignition/key built into the triple tree, it bolts onto it but it is not integrated into it. Yours should bolt right onto the polished aluminum one and your forks should slide right into it.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                    X