Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Lube

Hi Folks..

I discovered a very valuable lesson today...Be VERY Careful when applying spray chain lube...
    Over enthusiasm is not a good thing!
    For some strange reason the rear disk , brake pads and chain lube do not play well, especially when applying the rear brake and trying to stop.

Dupont teflon multi use spray lube. clear, works well and no sloppy black greasy sling. Available at Lowes in a blue can.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I use a Loobman chain oiler on my GS.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

The problem is that I was stupid and was not paying attention where the over-spray was going....

Comment

Right, which is one good reason to use a Loobman.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I use Maxima Chain Wax and don't even spray it on the chain. This is for a sealed O, X, or whatever ring chain.

I spray it into a folded rag until there is a large spot about 2" across that is saturated, then grip the chain with the rag and slowly rotate the rear tire until the chain is coated with the stuff. The chain wax is there to prevent rust and facilitate easier cleaning, it is not there to lubricate the chain. The chain is prelubed and sealed at the factory.

I have never gotten less than 18,000 miles out of a sealed chain, and none of the chains I've purchased in the last ten years for my various bikes have worn out yet.

Standard, non sealed chain requires frequent lubrication, is messy, and is false economy to use.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I'll second the DuPont Teflon multipurpose lube. Got a X-ring chain going on 25,000 mi. and it looks new. I always bend about a 20 degrees in the tip of the straw, helps keep it where you want it. Spray it on a hot chain at the end of the day, wipe it and the sprocket with a shop cloth, ready to ride in the morning. Absolutely no mess.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                I'll second the DuPont Teflon multipurpose lube. Got a X-ring chain going on 25,000 mi. and it looks new.
                Yep, 27k and I keep checking for signs of approaching end-of-life. It all looks like new. It's just amazing.

I use a thick section of newspaper to 'mask' off the brake disc, and aim the stuff in a forward-ish direction. I'm not convinced this keeps the stuff off of my disc, so the cloth idea is the next approach I'll try.

DuPont has made a change in the product. There's a PDF floating around somewhere, but it's a somewhat different creature now.

Aha, here's a link.
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                  DuPont has made a change in the product. There's a PDF floating around somewhere, but it's a somewhat different creature now.

Aha, here's a link.
                  I literally just got back from Lowes with a can of this after reading this today. Should I return it and get the "Chain Saver" version?
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post

Aha, here's a link.
                    I have some of the new stuff and can't tell the difference except it seems thicker if just sprayed and left standing. Since I wipe the chain, I don't think the wax matters. I have used the chain lube in the squeeze bottle, it is harder to apply without wasting. Time will tell I guess.
                    Last edited by OldVet66; 06-23-2014, 07:35 AM.
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                    X