Sonic vs Racetech fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonic vs Racetech fork springs

Both come highly recommended; what's the real difference besides price and rate availability?

I have new seals and oil but would like some input on this spring decision. I will probably want to add the cartridge emulators at a later point, but the drilling kind of scares me.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2014, 09:40 PM.

They're both very high quality springs. The difference is price and service.

Sonic springs are a bit cheaper, and the owner is a member here. You'll get your springs fast, and if you have a question, you can email Rich and get an answer fast.

With RaceTech, you're on your own. No one will answer the phone, no one will call you back, and no one will answer emails.

Not a tough decision...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I just put Sonic springs (thanks Joe) in my 1100 and love them!! I have progressives in my 750 but am going to order Sonics for it soon.
      No signature

Comment

So, the Progressive springs I put in 12, or so, years ago are no longer considered any good? They do seem a little soft. They were "The Fix" back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by theresthatguy View Post
          Both come highly recommended; what's the real difference besides price and rate availability?

I have new seals and oil but would like some input on this spring decision. I will probably want to add the cartridge emulators at a later point, but the drilling kind of scares me.
          The drilling is easy. Go for it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
            So, the Progressive springs I put in 12, or so, years ago are no longer considered any good? They do seem a little soft. They were "The Fix" back in the day.
            I don't know if they are not any good...I just like the Sonic springs a lot more. I like a very firm suspension though.
            No signature

Comment

They are too soft for the most part, but better than the tired OEM springs. The thing was back then there was no alternative. Now that Sonic and Racetech both offer straight rate springs of the correct rates for our bikes the PS springs are definitely second class.

In 2004 I modified a set of PS fork springs and got to a rate of around 0.92kg/mm, which is still too soft for me and my 1100E. Now I can go buy the correct 1.00kg/mm rate from Sonic for a very reasonable price so there is no point in looking anywhere else.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Go with Sonic, as mentioned the service is much better. Its all I use in my bikes.

Comment

Progressive brand springs work well for "average" weight riders who are interested more in a smooth ride than ultimate handling. If you're 160 pounds or so or less, they're fine.

For best handling, and/or if you're larger than "average", straight rate springs in a rate tailored to your weight are the best option.

The disadvantage, of course, is that if you sell the bike to a rider of a dramatically different weight, the springs won't be right for them.

The biggest difference I notice between Progressives and Sonic springs in everyday non-banzai mode riding is dramatically less brake dive. If you're heavier than average, they're definitely worthwhile for that effect alone.

However, straight rate springs are a bit harsher over small bumps than Progressive springs. If you're not over 200 pounds, or you aren't a hard charger, you might be happier with the added comfort of Progressive springs.
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    However, straight rate springs are a bit harsher over small bumps than Progressive springs. If you're not over 200 pounds, or you aren't a hard charger, you might be happier with the added comfort of Progressive springs.
                    LOL......I'm only 160 but am one click away from ordering some Sonics because I like to think of myself as a "hard charger." I love this term. I tell my riding friends that I will go slow until I see a turn. At that point I accelerate toward it, brake good, and apex that beauty. I will just tell them I'm a hard charger in whatever twisties we can find along the boring Florida roads.
                    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Depends on what you like. A comfortable ride and good handling are not mutually exclusive.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

...Sonic for me ...this time

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Depends on what you like. A comfortable ride and good handling are not mutually exclusive.
                        Agreed 100% - I had a GL1100 Goldwing Interstate last year that was the most cushy and yet best handling bike I ever rode - It had Progressive Suspension all around and was set up just right ...no fork dive, soft over bumps and cracks, and yet cornered like it was on rails...

Now I find myself seeking similar riding on my GS850 GL - I Am reworking a spare seat to eliminate the torture device from under my bum -

And now that I am doing Fork Seals - I ordered SONIC SPRINGS at 1.1 rate - I am a large dude at over 300# so more better is a good idea for me....

I suppose he future brings new rear suspension also ..but time & money are going to help decide that change....

I have Progressives in/on my GL1500 Goldwing front & rear and really like them ...but that is a road sofa machine so I don't really flog it too hard through the corners...
                        Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

just a minor bit of dissent, i recently(last winter) put racetech springs in along with emulators, and found their customer service to be fine. talked to them a couple times on the phone and exchanged a couple emails as well. they do have a reputation for being uncommunicative, but for me, that week, they were helpful. Didn't even buy the springs or emulators directly thru them, found them cheaper on amazon.
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                            just a minor bit of dissent, i recently(last winter) put racetech springs in along with emulators, and found their customer service to be fine. talked to them a couple times on the phone and exchanged a couple emails as well. they do have a reputation for being uncommunicative, but for me, that week, they were helpful. Didn't even buy the springs or emulators directly thru them, found them cheaper on amazon.

I've heard it both ways, which is indeed puzzling. Anyone can have an "off" week, but I've tried to work with Racetech on at least three separate occasions and gotten no answer on the phone, no return call, and no response to emails.

If you had a good experience, great. Lots of people have. I've had no luck with Racetech, so they're off my personal list.

As to the difference, for street use what would really be nice would be a set of progressively wound springs with appropriate spring rates. The main problem with Progressive brand fork springs is simply that there's only one set of spring rates offered for a given bike. The overall concept makes a lot of sense for street riding, but the only springs Progressive sells for my 850G are best suited for a rider about 1/2 to 2/3 my weight.

For roadracing use, straight-rate springs are usually preferred because they're more predictable -- they respond exactly the same anywhere in the fork travel.

Some racers will change fork springs to tune the suspension for different tracks -- you can use lighter springs and get better tracking on smooth, flat tracks, or use stiffer springs so you don't bottom out on rough tracks or tracks with more elevation changes.
                            Eat more venison.

Comment

I put Racetech springs and emulators in the old 1150 last year. Service was fine, emailed, then a couple of phone conversations,.perfectly fine and straight forward purchase. Tech support was excellent as well when I had a couple of questions.
                              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                              X