front tire swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front tire swap

So I was talking with a neighbor who has a front wheel/tire combo off of a kz440. It has an axle with it, and its all in really good shape. Would I be able to swap this combo out with my factory front? I know the axle diameters are different, but would that matter?

Yes, of course the axle diameters matter. They matter a lot. Like "you'll probably die" level of importance.

Assuming you have some sort of GS and not a KZ, the brake rotor(s) are likely not compatible either, and the whole arrangement of spacers that locate the wheel side-to-side is pretty important as well. In short, nothing's going to fit, nothing's going to line up, so it's not something you should try.

If the tire is the same size, I suppose you could swap it over to your rim. However, you might also want to take a peek at the KZ tire's date code -- something that's been knocking around a neighbor's garage for years could be very old, hard, and quite dangerous, even if the tread looks good and it's not cracked.

Also, it might be a good idea to reveal what sort of bike you are working on. Put it in your signature so we don't have to ask every time.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by celtic.ink View Post
      So I was talking with a neighbor who has a front wheel/tire combo off of a kz440. It has an axle with it, and its all in really good shape. Would I be able to swap this combo out with my factory front? I know the axle diameters are different, but would that matter?
      Why on earth would you want to swap a KZ440 front wheel onto any GS? I agree with bwringer, nothing is going to fit properly as is and by asking the question you indicate you don't have the knowledge and experience to make it work. Can it be made to fit? Almost certainly with enough effort, time and money. Do you have the ability to make it fit? Doesn't sound like it. I'm not trying to be an ass, but something like this is not a simple project. You would have to sort out new spacers, bearings, axle (possibly), most likely some rotor spacers and new caliper mounts (to fit rotors that are not the same diameter as the OEM ones) and maybe the speedo drive as well.

If you are doing this simply to get a cheap front tire then go buy one of the Shinko (I think it is) ones that work OK and are dirt cheap. If it is to get a different front wheel there are other choices that will be much, much easier to sort out.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Tire is pretty new. And this is why I ask. I don't know to what extent there are interchangeable parts between bikes.

Comment

As has been mentioned (more than once), if all you are interested in is the tire, get the tire. JUST the tire.

But, before you go through all the effort, don't just say the tire is "pretty new", LOOK at the date code.

I have purchased tires that were new, right off the dealer's shelf that were almost two years old.
          Your "pretty new" might be based on looks, might be based on talking to someone with an optimistic memory.
          LOOK at the date code. If it's more than a couple years old, pass on the tire.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by celtic.ink View Post
            Tire is pretty new. And this is why I ask. I don't know to what extent there are interchangeable parts between bikes.
            Even though they both take a 100/90-19 tire, for about $50 you can have a new front Shinko shipped to your door. No fuss and time with removing his tire and new one has at least assurance it's made in the last year with a warranty. If he has a nice Avon tire for free that's dated within the last year then maybe it's worth the time to remove. Then again if your GS750 has a crap rear tire it will not be a good match. Don't try to rig a Kawi tire/rim on! Besides the rims don't even look alike do they?
            Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              As has been mentioned (more than once), if all you are interested in is the tire, get the tire. JUST the tire.

But, before you go through all the effort, don't just say the tire is "pretty new", LOOK at the date code.

I have purchased tires that were new, right off the dealer's shelf that were almost two years old.
              Your "pretty new" might be based on looks, might be based on talking to someone with an optimistic memory.
              LOOK at the date code. If it's more than a couple years old, pass on the tire.

This. I just bought a 2001 dirt bike with brand new looking knobby tires. Beautiful new tires, most of all the little strings and casting things are still there, they are still shiny. Almost no wear at all. Looks like almost zero miles. On closer inspection, they are the original tires, date code 1999, it's the whole bike that has almost zero miles. Needless to say they are coming off pronto.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Again, this is why I ask these questions. I ,also, don't want to sound like an ass here, but a simple "no, that won't work" would have sufficed. I think its a damn sight better for me to have asked before spending money, that to have said "Hey, look what I bought. Now help me fit it to my bike."

Comment

Also, tkent, the zombie knome is hilarious lol

Comment

Working...
                  X