No announcement yet.

cheapest rear shocks 79 gs850g ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I went to new shocks, I went with the Progressives with the HD springs. All in all I think they ran about $200, ride is very nice. Good shock good price IMO.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
      It is but in these times even $200 is to much for some. I have more money in shocks than most have in there bike.
      I don't mess around with cheep shocks. Just not worth it to me.
      I understand being short on cash (I certainly am not wealthy) but I will not cheap out on suspension, brakes or tires. They all directly affect my safety on the bike and it isn't worth taking chances to me.

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
      The Bandit is a monoshock setup so I'm not sure that would be a good match for an 850G, besides the fact that it's not eye to eye.
      Yea Steve already stated that the mounts are different.
      Besides not having the correct end connections, a monoshock will have a spring rate that is many times too stiff to directly replace the shocks on a GS and will almost certainly not have enough stroke as well.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I am sorry Mark I did not mean to insulate you were cheep. I just ment the I buy high quality parts for my bike because I race my bikes and the cheeper shocks just don't work as well as a good quality shock. I have a Progressive 420 shock sitting on a shelf the I replaced with a Penske because the Progressive shock did not preform like I needed it to or have the adjustability I need. I just thought if they could help you out then I have been known to give parts away that I don't need anymore. I was not sure if they would to stiff because mono shock has the linkage to make the shock handle more weight. I never thought about the travel being to short also. I am not wealthy either buy any means. But every time I cheep out it bites me in the a$$.
        My stable
        84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
        85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
        88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
        98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
        90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
        06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
        00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by seanarthurmachado View Post
          I measured the shocks at 12 inches center to center (while shocks supporting the bike)
          another local guy.....howdy!

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            another local guy.....howdy!
            I just realized that, too.

Sean, I will send you some contact info, then come on up, I am sure I have an extra set around here that are just looking to go for a ride.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am sorry Mark I did not mean to insulate you were cheep.
              No offense taken, I never took it that way at all. Besides, I wouldn't be offended at being accused of being cheap, I have been called much worse than that.

I am not wealthy either buy any means. But every time I cheep out it bites me in the a$$.
              This was my point, very often the "buy once, cry once" philosophy works out much better in the end. Add in the safety implications of a failure in the suspension and it isn't worth it in my books.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by seanarthurmachado View Post
                Are there alternatives to $200.00 + rear shocks ?

All my searches find real expensive shocks, however I constantly see Harley Davidson shocks for like 50.00 on eBay. Is there a way to get replacement shocks without breaking the bank ?

Thanks

Sean
                My '80 was fitted for 20 years with a pair of Showa air shocks that came off a GT750 Kwak. As mentioned in another thread, recently I've seen the exact same shocks still being made and factory-fitted to some models of Harley. Now here's the interesting bit - quite a few Harley owners don't like them for looks or ride or something and they replace them with something blingier or simply more expensive.
                Nothing wrong with Showa air shocks at all, as 50-odd thousand miles of my use of them demonstrates.
                I'd quite happily buy an ex-Harley pair, and I've seen them go dirt cheap on ebay.com - virtually new for as little as $20 (but more often a bit more than that).
                13" eye-to-eye is fitted to a couple of Harley models.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X