Dynabeads ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
    I'll be using this method next time - thanks!
    Too easy, wow. I remember thinking about compressed air but figured it would be too much. Obviously this method only works when there is no air pressure in the tire.

Comment

Yes the air has to be out of the tire (sorry I should have mentioned that) With tubes it is better if you blow them up a bit first, then let the air back out. The turkey baster works because the beads like to bunch up and clog at the valve stem. When you release the bulb it actually pulls a little air out of the tube/tire and fluffs the beads allowing them to fall back though the pinch point at the stem. So if the tube is completely compressed out of the box there isn't any air for it to fluff the beads.

Comment

They are great at balancing the huge mass of weight of a single rimlock. Leave the beads in the inner tube, and forgetaboutit, it's no mess or hassle at all. Tubeless tires, a little more hassle to use the beads, but not so bad. Road bikes with decent tires don't need much weight anyway. I like them because they rebalance the wheels constantly on the fly, the balance is always right on.

Edit, when changing tubeless tires, before you dismount the tire, take a knife and cut a little window in the top of the tire, turn it over and pour the beads out into something wide enough to catch the beads. Garbage can lid, cardboard box with a plastic bag inside, perhaps a tarp laid out on the floor or the big pan your wife uses to cook the turkey. Use your imagination. Then use the baster method to reinstall them in the new tire after it's mounted.

If you want to do it cheaply, all they are is high density ceramic grinding beads, get them for a few bucks a ton if you find the right industrial supplier. Get the 1mm diameter beads, that's what Dynabeads are.
        Last edited by tkent02; 08-17-2014, 05:32 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          ... I like them because they rebalance the wheels constantly on the fly, the balance is always right on.
          There was one instance in all the time I had them in the 850 that the balance was not perfect. I hit a particularly bad joint in the pavement on I-275, which displaced the beads at a high enough speed that they couldn't redistribute themselves. After traffic slowed and then picked up a bit, things smoothed out again. That was quite a hit, though.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            There was one instance in all the time I had them in the 850 that the balance was not perfect. I hit a particularly bad joint in the pavement on I-275, which displaced the beads at a high enough speed that they couldn't redistribute themselves. After traffic slowed and then picked up a bit, things smoothed out again. That was quite a hit, though.
            Have you eve driven in Montreal?

The roads are paved with potholes. You save a lot of time that way. You can lose your car if you don't remember in what pothole you parked it.

Mind you the traffic can be so bad that you can't go fast very far anyway.
            Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
            1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
              Have you eve driven in Montreal?

The roads are paved with potholes. You save a lot of time that way. You can lose your car if you don't remember in what pothole you parked it.
              Many years ago, I used to drive a truck cross-country. I appreciated all the small cars on the road because they usually filled up the larger potholes when they fell in, making the road a bit smoother for me.

There was also an on-going thing with the Pennsylvania Highway Department. We were convinced that they would dig up the potholes and turn them over so we could beat them back the other way. They actually just over-filled the holes, hoping the traffic would pack them down and be level, but the impact of traffic on the mound would just beat it away and it would soon be a pothole again.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X