Rebuilding Calipers Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding Calipers Questions

I'm in the process of rebuilding the front and rear calipers.

I will be taking them apart, replacing the seals and cleaning the pistons as part of the process.

What I will also be doing is re-painting the calipers back to the original 'orange' colour spec for the Katana's.

My question is around the removing of paint, cleaning and prepping the surface ready for paint. Any tips? Suggestions?

There is already brake fluid on the calipers, so paint is bubbling up.

Paint stripper, bead blasting, wire wheel, whatever it takes. Then spray with brake cleaner and they are ready for paint.

Just make sure you mask off the inside of the caliper when you paint them.

I use engine enamels and oven bake them to cure (best to do this in an old oven outdoors, or a hooded BBQ - the fumes off oven curing paint are nasty)
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
      Paint stripper, bead blasting, wire wheel, whatever it takes. Then spray with brake cleaner and they are ready for paint.

Just make sure you mask off the inside of the caliper when you paint them.

I use engine enamels and oven bake them to cure (best to do this in an old oven outdoors, or a hooded BBQ - the fumes off oven curing paint are nasty)
      Ive rebuilt a few over the spring and use most of these techniques. Caliper paint and/or engine enamel both worked well for me. I used a little toaster oven I bought at a yard sale for $5 but I clear coated my calipers after toasting them. I've spilled a little fluid on them from bleeding and got no bubbling.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
      X