Riding Season over. Blah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding Season over. Blah

Looks like this riding season is over..... Was going to be nice tomorrow, thought I'd take the bike to work. Was out in the garage checking it over (oil level, tire pressures, etc), and saw THIS. The vintage Koni shock is kaput.

Search for new shocks begins. With all the luggage and racks, it's major surgery to replace the shocks. Once I get there, going to be into the "might-as-well" mode and will probably replace the rear tire - only had 1 more season on it anyway

Cant you just take it apart and put a few big washers in there? or call the company and see if they will sell or simply send you a replacement?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Comment

That's just the corner, can't imagine it would be a problem as long as the rest of it is fine. You can get replacement parts for those shocks.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        That's just the corner, can't imagine it would be a problem as long as the rest of it is fine. You can get replacement parts for those shocks.
        Ok - I'll check into it. Didn't know if IKON still sold parts for the previously-named KONI shocks. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
          Ok - I'll check into it. Didn't know if IKON still sold parts for the previously-named KONI shocks. Thanks
          They bought all the M/C suspension tooling from KONI. Even the rebuild kits will work. All you need to do is call them and let them know which KONIs you have and they'll match you up with the right kit.

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
            Didn't know if IKON still sold parts for the previously-named KONI shocks. Thanks
            Yes, they do.

I have recently acquired a set of KONI shocks for my 850. I knew that IKON had somewhat taken over for KONI, but did not know to what extent. I contacted them (via e-mail) to ask for some help determining exactly what I had, just to make sure they were the proper shocks. The staff at IKON are still willing and able to help with your KONI shocks, as most things are the same, right down to the part numbers.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Perfect. Thanks to all for the advice!

Between work and other obligations, I won't be able to fix them before it gets too cold to ride, but at least there's a chance I won't have to drop a couple hundred on full replacements. (Although those Showa air shocks for the Hardleys were looking kinda interesting)

Still going to replace the tire too.

Comment

Working...
              X