Squeaks in reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeaks in reverse

My driveway goes up hill to my garage. When I rolled Suzi out backwards earlier (engine off - neighbors) I noticed a fair amount of squeaking. Not loud, just noticeable with helmet off.

The only time she gets rolled forward, it's at speed and my full face is on (as I silently return home).

Might this indicate the wheel bearings need to be greased, or packed or changed? I just had a set of Pirellis installed a month ago, and I'm pretty sure he told me the bearings were okay.

If I just sit on her and bounce, a certain amount of squeaking is normal, correct?

Thanks much.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

It's probably just a spot in the chain that squeaks. I had the same thing on my old chain. The noise is gone with the new chain/sprockets.
    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Chain would be my guess also.

Comment

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
        It's probably just a spot in the chain that squeaks. I had the same thing on my old chain. The noise is gone with the new chain/sprockets.
        Originally posted by rudeman View Post
        Chain would be my guess also.
        Yikes! I had new sprockets and chain (630) installed the same time as the tires.

But, chain is on the tight side. Mechanic likes it that way, and so do I.
        Last edited by Rob S.; 09-19-2014, 01:41 AM.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Your mechanic likes it that way because it means he gets to sell you a new chainset much sooner. There is zero downside to running it on the loose side and everything lasts much, much longer that way.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

You have a reverse??? Gotta get one of those for my bike.
            No signature :(

Comment

Squeak might be coming from the brakes as well. Just a slight high spot on the rotor can cause that. Usually nothing to worry about.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                You have a reverse??? Gotta get one of those for my bike.
                Reverse is highly over-rated. I have it on the Wing, don't use it very often.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yikes! I had new sprockets and chain (630) installed the same time as the tires.

Which way do you spin the wheel when you lube the chain?

Comment

My bike does the same thing when I roll it backards. Turns out it is the brake disk/pad. Your pad and disk wear into a pattern when 99.9% of its motion is forward. When you reverse the direction the disk and pad are going against the direction of the pattern, hence a slight squeak. My front brakes well do it a little as well. Move forward no squeaking. Usually when you have the bike up on the center stand and rotate the wheel in reverse chances are you won't get the squeak since the rear wheel is unloaded. I also get a little chain popping at times when rolling backards, remember the chain and sprockets wear into each other and set up a wear pattern as well.
                    Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-19-2014, 01:40 PM.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Tight chain not good. Accelerates sprocket and chain wear and causes additional stress on bearings etc due to the increased tension of the chain. You really gotta learn how to do some of your own maintenance.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        Your mechanic likes it that way because it means he gets to sell you a new chainset much sooner. There is zero downside to running it on the loose side and everything lasts much, much longer that way.
                        Mark
                        Frank at Powerhouse has my confidence. I hate a loose, slapping, flopping chain.

Which way do you spin the wheel when you lube the chain?
                        Forward. Correct?

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        Tight chain not good. Accelerates sprocket and chain wear and causes additional stress on bearings etc due to the increased tension of the chain. You really gotta learn how to do some of your own maintenance.
                        Chain tensioning I can do. Haven't seen the need since the new chain was installed.

Frank did mention that the rear brake had worn the pads down to the metal and damaged the rotor, but that the rotor could still be used for awhile as long as the brake pads were changed, which they were.
                        Last edited by Rob S.; 09-19-2014, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I spin the wheel in both directions and lube it liberally. Then i let it settle for a bit and wipe off the excess with rag with a little WD-40 on it. Squeaking, to me, means it's got some dry spots on it.

Comment

I spin the wheel in both directions and lube it liberally. Then i let it settle for a bit and wipe off the excess with rag with a little WD-40 on it. Squeaking, to me, means it's got some dry spots on it.
                            If you are using an O-ring chain you are wasting your lube. All you need to do is keep the outside of the chain clean and rust free and nothing more, the important lube is already sealed inside the chain for its life. I wipe mine down with WD-40 to clean the gunk off and leave it dry. Because I live in near desert conditions I don't need any external lube on the chain at all to keep rust away, but I do need to wipe it down if I get caught in the rain.

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

"Liberal" lubing I do. I spin at least two or three rotations of the chain while spraying away at the chain and both rotors.

I use so much lube, I'm surprised that when I touch the chain later in the week, it feels tacky, rather than slick or slippery.

Comment

Working...
                              X