how old is too old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how old is too old?

cause i think i'm gonna be looking at tires for both my kz and my gs this spring. the gs because the tires are getting a little low on tread, and the kz because i think the tires might be getting too old, but i don't know how old is too old. i think the kz tires are 5 years old, and both have the same tires as well. they are Avon tires iirc

Check for dry rotting between the treads. I've ridden on 10 year old tires before, but as long as they look good there fine.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      Check for dry rotting between the treads. I've ridden on 10 year old tires before, but as long as they look good there fine.
      You can if you want, No way in hell I would. I don't even like 4 year old tires.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yeah, crack open the wallet. It's nice to see the little "titties" on both tires.

Well, I like it. (Pirelli Sport Demons).
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

You may not see cracks and if you ride very cautiously you may be ok. BUT there may be one time when you say oops and realize you needed new shoes. Play it safe and put on tires. Older tires in my opinion do not offer the same grip as newer ones.

Comment

Oh bollocks change your tires once a season as I do,
            GD sidewall cracking is the order of the day way north up here.

Comment

The 650g definitely has cracking between the treads, but since the depth was on the low side of my liking they were gonna be replaced in the spring anyway. The kz's tires though show no cracks, but I think the date on them is 09. And I think the only miles on these tires are what I put on them. Well, new tires for both this spring it is then

Comment

Have you checked the date of manufacture on the sidewalls?
                sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

I forget which part of the tire it's on. I don't think my 650g's tires had the date, not that I could find anyway

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                    Older tires in my opinion do not offer the same grip as newer ones.
                    It's a fact. Rubber dries as it ages, and dry rubber doesn't stick the way new rubber does. Personally I'd feel uneasy on 5 year old tires, due to consensus I've drawn from people's opinion. Maybe you can get away with it, maybe tires age differently, depending on conditions... I've never tested it. I can tell you that 10+ year old skins are 'interesting' to ride on. Fortunately I wear tires out before age is an issue.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Tire manufacturers will recommend tires over 5 years old to be scrapped. This is what I go by when deciding on tires.

When you go to pick up new ones, make sure to check the date on the new ones as well. Some places still have 6 or 7 year old tires sitting around in stock.

Comment

Eight year old tires on a bike that has been ridden occasionally and has been kept in a garage away from direct sunlight generally will be in far better shape than three year old tires on a bike parked outside all the time.

UV rays and direct solar heat degrade the rubber much more quickly than the rubber naturally outgassing when stored in a dark, cooler space.
                        sigpic

SUZUKI:
                        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                          I forget which part of the tire it's on. I don't think my 650g's tires had the date, not that I could find anyway
                          It IS a little hard to find, sometimes, it's usually close to the inner edge of the tire, so using a flashlight and slowly rotating the tire helps. It's in the form
                          of a letters and numbers in a skinny oval. The letters don't matter, but the numbers very much do. The front tires on a couple of my bikes, one far from
                          running, one in the repair process, both Bridgestones, were made almost exactly 10 years apart. The oldest numbers are 0703, which indicates that it
                          was manufactured in the 7th week of 2003, the newer numbers are 0613, telling me that it was made the sixth week of 2013. I forget when this system
                          was required to be embossed on the tire, but it's been going on for a few decades now. 'Bingle' tire manufacturing dates, many sites will give you more detail.
                          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
                            Tire manufacturers will recommend tires over 5 years old to be scrapped.
                            Well, of course they do, they are in the business of selling tires.

And, ... oil change companies tell you to change your oil every three months, too. Because they are in the business of selling you oil.

As Griffin mentioned, it's not so much the age, it's how they have aged. I probably don't ride hard enough in a typical ride to notice the difference, but there is always the chance of that one OOPS moment where I wished I had better traction.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Well, of course they do, they are in the business of selling tires.

And, ... oil change companies tell you to change your oil every three months, too. Because they are in the business of selling you oil.

As Griffin mentioned, it's not so much the age, it's how they have aged. I probably don't ride hard enough in a typical ride to notice the difference, but there is always the chance of that one OOPS moment where I wished I had better traction.

Yes they are in the business of selling tires, as I work for one of those manufacturers.

The point I was trying to make.... I should have elaborated a bit. Griffin hit the nail on the head though, as did you. The WAY the tires are stored has a very significant impact on the degradation of the tire.

However, I would not ride on a tire that has sat in a cooled, dark warehouse for 20 years. I definitely wouldn't ride one that had 5 miles on it, but has sat in the sun for 3 years in Arizona. These are factors, like it or not. I need to talk with the lab and get them to design a tire that fits everything, has super glue grip, and lasts 100K.

Comment

Working...
                              X